"Leftovers"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is a "first attempt" at a new design. Future renditions will go for thinner strips, and 5 strips per inlay. This inlay used leftovers so I did not mill them thinner. The inlays have 2 black veneers (.021" x 2 = .042") plus three layers of Padauk and Maple (or poplar, not sure?) (.0625 x 3 = .1875"). 5 Ply inlay is .2295" plus epoxy.

The alignment was decent for a first attempt. It is a 4 sided inlay (as my previous ones). I just don't like having 2 sides with the design :cool:.

Comments, suggestions welcomed.

HAPPY BASHING EVERYONE. Thought I'd post this before the "Big Guns" start started!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Gees mate, you are certainly getting some amazing creation juices, that's a lot of work but, it looks amazing, congrats.

Hahaha, your "leftovers" results remind me of Merissa's leftovers meals, they are some of the best meals I ever have eaten so when she says, "we are going to have leftovers for dinner tonight...!" I start to drool just wondering what she's preparing :eek::wink:

No wonder why I can seem to lose weight...!:eek::rolleyes:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Have a pic before turning?

Sure, You should have a go at this! I love your work also.

As an explanation, while I love the complexity and skill set needed for blanks like the "Gisi" style, as well as other segmented works, I have not always liked that the patterns are seen on 2 sides, and the alternate sides are "plain."

I like having the patterns on 4 sides; but this limits the inlay to about .25" thick - my pallatte is pretty narrow. For this design, I should have little problem getting 5 layers, as the strips need to be sanded down to about .04" (5 x .04 = .2" plus two veneers 2 x .021 = .042" for a pattern of about .242").

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 221

ajollydds

Mark, great design. Thanks for documenting and sharing your process, I always appreciate seeing how it comes together.

Also, great efficiency on getting this in before the "big guns" [emoji6]

magpens

Great work, Mark !!! . I can't understand why I didn't see this yesterday when you posted it.

The pen looks beautiful !! . Innovative design !!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work Mark, like the pattern.

I've been peeking/poking Mark. I do love your rod patterns. Some amazing artistry! Please continue. The confluence between mediums/applications is very cool! (..."Cool", my 22 yr old daughter thinks that is an outdated temperature reference as opposed to an emotional/opinion comment - stinks getting outdated!). :embarrassed:

Be well.

mb757

I've been peeking/poking Mark. I do love your rod patterns. Some amazing artistry! Please continue. The confluence between mediums/applications is very cool! (..."Cool", my 22 yr old daughter thinks that is an outdated temperature reference as opposed to an emotional/opinion comment - stinks getting outdated!). :embarrassed:

Be well.

It's funny that you mentioned leftovers and the Gisi only having two sides. Been playing with a variation that would give it more than two faces. Had some pieces left over and glued them up last night. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Attachments

• DSCF0930.jpg
    DSCF0930.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF0931.jpg
    DSCF0931.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 210

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Be well.

It's funny that you mentioned leftovers and the Gisi only having two sides. Been playing with a variation that would give it more than two faces. Had some pieces left over and glued them up last night. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Ohh Ahh... Sweet! I love the input/exchange. I have no critique with well made "Gisi" style; I just like a 4 sided patterns better, my opinion only, even with the smaller ava space. Now you are exploring a 3 sided... NICE, This should be worth the wait.

fernhills

I have to try some of that type of work. Got tons of wood and the tools to work it. Really nice work. I kind of like the idea of using wood to make neat pens, sort of what we started out to do. Carl

Top Bottom