Latest simple segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Wow, that is a stunning pen! I keep looking at the photo, and all I can say is "WOW!"

Thanks for showing us this fantastic pen.

EagleTa2

Simple and elegant... I like how the aluminum segmenting doesn't try to do "too much"

Nicely done

Geo

Dale Parrott

Very nice pen! I will be trying one of these in the near future. I am curious as to the actual thickness of the aluminum. I have used old house siding before but mine looks thinner than what you used.
Dale

jttheclockman

Very nice pen! I will be trying one of these in the near future. I am curious as to the actual thickness of the aluminum. I have used old house siding before but mine looks thinner than what you used.
Dale

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. In this particular case I used 1/8" aluminum which I sanded down to 3/32" which is the width of my tablesaw blade. I get the aluminum from Home Depot or Lowes. I always use epoxy to glue my inlays in place and then glue the tube in with the same epoxy. Good luck. Any help I can add just post your questions here.

Dale Parrott

Thanks John, I appreciate your help.

I lucked out with my aluminum siding being the perfect thickness for my bandsaw blade. It will be a few days before I get to this next project but will post a photo after it's complete.

I'm attaching a photo of my first aluminum segmented pen that was made last summer with Padauk and aluminum. I have learned a lot about sanding aluminum since making this Slimline. I've also learned how to use my skew so that very little sanding is needed.
Dale

Attachments

• Padauk With Aluminum Celtic Knot.jpg
    Padauk With Aluminum Celtic Knot.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 536

Hendu3270

Man those looks great John!! It's amazing how a simple 45 deg angled cut into a blank yields such interesting results. I've not had great results using thicker aluminum like that. I think I just drilled too fast though. Very nice.

Reactions: AJM

Hexhead

Wow john looks like I got you a lot of quotas by asking about the sled :) You sure deserve it those are some sick pens! I'm trying to fight being old by using some more resent terms like sick for good Ha Ha. Also looks like some are going to make your jig, It only seems take a question on this site and everyone get juiced up. great site, Thanks again for you help. I've made a jig and well upload a picture when I figure out how.

lorbay

John is your blade on the table saw have square teeth on it???? All the blades I have all have the angled teeth on them and this is causing a non square end on the bottom of the cut.

Lin

alphageek

Former Moderator
John is your blade on the table saw have square teeth on it???? All the blades I have all have the angled teeth on them and this is causing a non square end on the bottom of the cut.

Lin

Need to find yourself a FTG (flat top grind) blade where at least some of the teeth are flat.

MikeL

Very classy looking pen. Seems like a simple idea but looks like it would be very tricky to pull off.

lorbay

With mine being a 9" blade and only a couple of places where to buy them in Canada there are none that have the FTG. I wonder if I took one to a saw sharpening shop if they could sharpen it that way for me??

Lin.

alphageek

Former Moderator
With mine being a 9" blade and only a couple of places where to buy them in Canada there are none that have the FTG. I wonder if I took one to a saw sharpening shop if they could sharpen it that way for me??

Lin.

Is it a table saw? If so you can use an undersized blade ( think about it - dado sets are smaller than table saw blades)... Look for a 7 1/4 blade that's FTG... Maybe you can find one in that size?

jttheclockman

Wow john looks like I got you a lot of quotas by asking about the sled :) You sure deserve it those are some sick pens! I'm trying to fight being old by using some more resent terms like sick for good Ha Ha. Also looks like some are going to make your jig, It only seems take a question on this site and everyone get juiced up. great site, Thanks again for you help. I've made a jig and well upload a picture when I figure out how.

Hexhead, I look forward to seeing your jig. It is always fun to make jigs that make a project safer and easier to do. I am forever making jigs of all kinds. i have shown this jig a few times and in fact I have one that is 60 degrees also that looks similar. I have shown many jigs here and will continue. If I can help anyone with a jig or one of my own I am more than happy to help. Good luck.

Lin, I have many different blades that I use on my tablesaw and each one does certain things real well. For this particular segmenting blank I use a triple chip blade. It has 2 angle cutter and one flat top cutter. I use many different brands but Most of my blades are Freuds. There is no reason you can not use a ATB blade. I like to use thin kerf blades most of the time. The cut with a thin kerf ATB blade is very very close to being flat bottomed. If you use a full sized blade then the angle of cuts will be more pronounced. If you want a true flat bottom cut then you need a FTG blade. These are a bit more expensive. I can not help you with any Canadian dealers. Sorry. Just remember whatever kerf you choose the fill material needs to match exactly or you will have ugly glue lines. To have a blade ground to flat would be more costly than to buy one already done.

Lin

Very classy looking pen. Seems like a simple idea but looks like it would be very tricky to pull off.

Mike, it is simple. That is why I called it that. It has to be one of the most simple cuts to do and make a segmented blank. You can do alot of different angles and spaces to change the look. This can be done on a table saw or bandsaw. Can also be done on a miter saw but you better have some good clamps to hold in place. People make feather blanks using this technique. Give it a try.

jyreene

Wow John, those work really well. It at first looks so simple but the more you stare the more everything flows together and reveals a subtle complexity to the whole design. I know it's not luck with you when that happens! (Still the case when I get something like that but I"m learning thanks to you and a few others here!)

Top Bottom