Just beginning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As I am getting pulled into the Dark Arts of segmenting, I'm working my way through the basics.

This was my first foray into laying out complete blanks (from a 6" x 6" x 1" block). These two are from separate blocks.

Skills learned:
- Cutting slices on a table saw.
- Glue-ups (messy).
- Color patterns.
- Sizes of the slices.
- Cutting blanks from the block.
- Drilling/Turning the individual segmented blank.

I already have some things I want to do differently, but I would like some CRITICAL feedback! YES - be cruel, harsh, and honest! These were FUN!

I used the clicker to use the full appearance of the blank.

And yes, Obi Wan (wood128) has given me some nice suggestions for future work (Thank you)!

Attachments

• IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

They look good to me, I like the random angle cuts, they can produce some very interesting designs. The difference is I don't use a table or bandsaw when I make them, a simple miter box is my choice of tools.

Dale Lynch

First the good,The color combinations and variety of tones are nice.The fit at the fittings are right on.Now the bad,the overall shape of them is wavy,these were turned to be straight I pressume.Try using a sanding block to sand the entire length at the same time,this helps keep the shape even from end to end.Most of the glue lines are clean and tight but there are a few that could've been cleaned up a little more before glueing.

Random segmenting with a variety of woods,metals,and resins provide for an interesting and unique look.Watch out for movement though because the woods are moving in all different directions and amounts.So don't be suprised if start feeling the joints later down the road.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
First the good,The color combinations and variety of tones are nice.The fit at the fittings are right on.Now the bad,the overall shape of them is wavy,these were turned to be straight I pressume.Try using a sanding block to sand the entire length at the same time,this helps keep the shape even from end to end.Most of the glue lines are clean and tight but there are a few that could've been cleaned up a little more before glueing.

Random segmenting with a variety of woods,metals,and resins provide for an interesting and unique look.Watch out for movement though because the woods are moving in all different directions and amounts.So don't be suprised if start feeling the joints later down the road.

GREAT THOUGHTS!!! Thank you.

Mark

Fish30114

Mark, as another poster has already stated, very nice fit and finish. I agree with this, my definition of fit and finish is that the blank pieces are fit together well and the finish of them looks good. I will say excellent--I don't see any bad glue joints or ragged surfaces at all--perhaps my eyes aren't as good as others--whether or not the particular aesthetic appeals to one or not isn't relative in judging someone's segmenting work--that's the old chocolate or vanilla discussion--everyone likes what they like.
I think you have a winning combo of tools(s) used, methodology, and end results. My only thought is to keep on keeping on, and try something new to show us!!

Krash

Mark, your work looks technically sound. Fit and glue joints looks solid.

I personally don't like the busyness of the randomly segmented pens. It looks like an "if one is good, more must be better" type of woodworking exercise. I think the eye-pleasing art of segmenting is one that takes the classic lines so loved for decades and adds some embellishments that work within the constraints of the classic look and subtlety highlight or offer a new approach.

"Just because we can doesn't mean that we should."

But that may be only me. If people love them and buy them, then who am I to judge? :)

wob50

Love them the second photo the bottom one is a lot to look at the lines, direction ,color , but still a great job. The top one in that same photo looks better in my 2 cents book, some metal in there would be nice copper etc:
Now that is said
They both look great
Have a great weekend

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Kelly & Robert:

Thank you for the comments, I agree that they are very busy! This was more of a learning practice with cutting and gluing, so it was a good start.

Yes, the glue lines are fairly good, but the choice of woods and the sizing, etc are all up for improvement.

I do appreciate the critical eyes!

Thank you

Top Bottom