For JT and anyone else!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
... Since you asked for pics... Not pretty, not refined, I'm still in the dark ages for this stuff. But, I find it a challenge that I really want to refine. At this point, I am trying to learn the basics and get to the level where I can make clean, repeatable glue-ups and slices.

Note: I have a nice older Craftsman Table saw: Kerf about .90"
I have a newer table top Bosch Table saw: Kerf about .90"
I have a nice older Craftsman Band Saw: Kerf about .30"
I have made "several" sleds for celtic knots, etc... OK with this area.

My objective at this time is to make clean, neat brick patterns. I understand the basics, so I do realize it's just screwing up 10-15 more trials and getting closer each time.

Going forward, I will make a sled for my band saw to cut the slices; these were on the table saw and I was not happy with my precision.

But, you asked for pics JT, so have at em! Comments, suggestions, ridicule, public floggings are all fine! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Mark; My suggestion would be to make a sled and use your band saw to make your cuts instead of the table saw. Much safer, less waste, and less sanding. Take a fine stone and run it against the set on your band saw blade from behind with the saw running. This will give you a slightly smaller kerf and smoother cuts. Your table saw is wasting 3 times the amount of wood than your band saw would on every cut. ( .60 X the number of segments !! ) Glue your slices together on the tubes themselves. Drill your blanks before cutting your segments. That's just my way of course, and there are many others. Here is an example of a slim line pen I did a while back. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0023 (350x640).jpg
    DSCF0023 (350x640).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Dale Lynch

Mark, your tablesaw will make for the best results,it just needs to be fine tuned for the task.An 80 tooth blade will leave a glue ready edge.Fine tune the angles of your staves using scrap lumber.Cut your staves and hold themtogether,if the gap is on the inside decrease your bevel a hair.If the gaps are on the outside increas the bevel amount a bit.Cut a new set of staves and check the fit again.Once it's perfect use your good timber and your ready to go.

A band saw is going to leave an aweful lot of tool marks.Unless you have a drum sander you'll be hard pressed to sand your staves and disks equally.

bobleibo

Mark
If you ask 100 people you'll come up with 100 different answers. Then you'll develop your own way as you go just like everyone else...and screw up some blanks just like everyone else. Sadly the number of segmented blanks I've made and the number I've screwed up are very close together.
I'll add my vote to a couple of things that have already been mentioned..
1) Drill before cutting to keep the piece on the exact same plane and assemble on the tube.
2) I cut mine on the table saw using a sled with hold down attachments, very easy to make. That way the blank stays in the same orientation each time...and my fingers stay on my hand each time. I use a very thin kerf .091 80 tooth Freud blade and have had good luck. With a sled you have a lot of positioning options for the blank. The table saw does waste more material but for me it's easier to keep accurate.
Good luck.......
....ok, now I have to ask....what is that great big copper vessel in the picture you posted? Are you in a brewery?
Cheers
Bob

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 175

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like what you've done Mark. I will agree with Jims method. I made a sled for my 14" band saw and, used it once :biggrin: Looking forward to more progress. :wink:

I would like to know what is in that Copper still? :biggrin:

plantman

Mark; Since being accurate seems to be your objective might I suggest, if you haven't already, Look up Jerry Bennets segmenting videos on you tube. There are 4 and take you from making a dead accurate two fence Segeasy wedge sled to some amazing segmentation. He has it set up for the table saw and bowl rings, but it could be adapted to cutting pen blanks on the band saw or table saw as well. No measuring, simple one time setup, no sanding, unlimited possabilitys, and SAFE even on the table saw. Even if you don't use any of his tips or jigs, the videos are well worth watching, and I learned several new things myself, and this is an old dog!!!. And yes, that name sounds famillar, he is a famous country and western singer. Jim S

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Glad to see you got my comment before that other thread got shut down.:)

I am very interested in any type segmenting. You know that. Everyone has their prefered method and with trials and errors you will find your comfort zone also. I too am a fan of using a tablesaw because the accuracy is spot on once tuned in. A jig will go a long way. You are on the right path with making staves. My blade of choice would not be an 80 tooth blade. I would use a 40 tooth thin kerf blade full size or even drop to a 7-1/4" blade. 3/32" is not much material to waste. Just with that simple pattern design you can make so many others from it. Just add veneers or change the colors of the staves or stagger the rings differently.

Good to see another segmenter. Take your time and keep good notes as you progress. Repeatability is key. Good luck and thanks for showing and keep us informed.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Guys! Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate all except Bruce's... (I have tools I have no idea how to use already... No need for more!).

Seriously, I suspect I am leaning to a precision sled for my band saw. While my sleds/jigs for the Bosch may get easier, it it a very "Hard start" and I prefer a smoother beginning to my cuts. But, never say never!

Copper vessel, pot still, I have no idea what you are talking about ... :confused::eek::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Maybe Jeff dropped a load in my front yard after the Christmas Party.:highfive:

plantman

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate all except Bruce's... (I have tools I have no idea how to use already... No need for more!).

Seriously, I suspect I am leaning to a precision sled for my band saw. While my sleds/jigs for the Bosch may get easier, it it a very "Hard start" and I prefer a smoother beginning to my cuts. But, never say never!

Copper vessel, pot still, I have no idea what you are talking about ... :confused::eek::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Maybe Jeff dropped a load in my front yard after the Christmas Party.:highfive:

Mark; In that case, with leaning towards a super precision sled and the band saw, Be sure to check out Jerry's videos !!!! All your set up is done with a single wedge placed between the two fences. And for anyone who wants to turn segmented bowels or vases as well as pen blanks, these are a must to watch :wink: Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom