inspired by "segmenting with aluminum and wood"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EagleTa2

Seeing the pens that Mike (mikespenturningz) posted here, I decided to give segmenting a try and shamelessly copied his design..:)

I've done a Celtic knot pen before, but making these blanks proved to be more difficult for me... I've found that I TRY to be much too accurate when I probably do not need to be...

Anyhow, I have my blanks ready to drill and turn so I thought I would share them with you. These will both be slim lines...mostly because the kits are so cheap and that way I won't feel bad if I screw them up...or decide to give them away. And, I haven't really found another kit that I've fallen in love with yet. (Open to suggestions here)

The first 2 blanks are walnut, with a cherry segment. I used .010 brass instead of aluminum. I hope that it doesn't chew up my chisels too bad...:confused:

The next blank will be a one piece slim line and is a curly walnut burl with a corian segment. I decided to use .005 brass on this one...

I wasn't sure which thickness would work out the best, so I figured the best way to find out was to try em both.

Let me know what you think of the blanks...I'll post pics of the finished pens...if they turn out.

Thanks
Geo

Attachments

• IMG_20130406_221549.jpg
    IMG_20130406_221549.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,090
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now this is just my opinion:) But i think you will be disappointed in the use of slimlines because they are so small. You will lose the detail in the design especially if you turn bushing to bushing. Sierra kits are not expensive or even cigar kits which is a 2 piece kit is not expensive at all. You spend so much time in making blanks like this and then you cheap out on the kit. Not what I would do but its your show. Good luck and I choose the thin brass.

I have some very thin brass shim stock but didn't know how it would do turning. I am very interested to hear how you make out with it. Those blanks look great. I agree with John T. I was thinking that the cigar would be the best bet because it is a little bit thicker when turned. They also leave you a lot of wood to show off that beautiful blank!

BeSquare

Agree on both fronts, gorgeous blanks, sierras and cigars are only a couple bucks more and both have larger diameters on the blanks to show it off.

Dale Parrott

I purchased a small piece of .005" brass at Hobby Lobby and it didn't turn much different than the soda can. Not realizing the tin content I also picked up some .008 bronze. That was a lot tougher and dulled my skew pronto. One bad catch and it was on the floor in pieces. When I try that again it will be with my carbide cutters.

Janster

Give it a go. Experimenting is GOOD. That's how we advance ourselves and our skills! I look forward to your completed work, or your tales of woe. Be well............Jan

EagleTa2

Thanks for the recommendations on pen kits everyone!

I checked the price and cigar kits are 3.55 and sierras (monet) are 4.45. I think you're right and after I burn through all of these slims, I will probably go to the cigar as my standard kit.

I really need a confidence booster though, so making 10 slim lines ought to get my confidence up and give me some much needed refinement on fit and finish.

So, onto the blanks...I drilled them last night. I was having a bit of run out on my drill bit so the holes aren't as tight as I like. Had to use what I had...

When gluing in the tubes, some idiot let the CA glue the blank to my glue board (used to protect workbench surface). Upon trying to remove the blank, a corner of it snapped off. :crying: I just glued it back on, clamped it and went to bed.

I will at least turn it today to see how it works out...

Updates to follow.

Thanks
Geo

EagleTa2

finished

My first two segmented pens...

The finish is 20 coats of CA...then up to MM 12000. Got really excited when I saw the lustre at MM 4000...and I think it just got better from there.

These are some of my best yet...at least I think so. C&C welcomed and encouraged... I know I need work on photography.

Thanks
Geo

Attachments

• Pen 1-3.jpg
    Pen 1-3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Pen 1-5.jpg
    Pen 1-5.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 753
  • Pen 2-2.jpg
    Pen 2-2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 674
  • Pen 2-3.jpg
    Pen 2-3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 718

BSea

Well, I think that proves that a slimline is certainly acceptable for this kind of segmenting. Nothing at all wrong with turning slimlines. I did 3 or 4 slimlines when I started turning, then quickly moved to the larger pens. But about a year ago, I started doing them again. Not all the time, but enough to know that they can be fun and really good looking. And like you said, they are really great to practice new ideas or skills.

Good Job!!

jttheclockman

Well, I think that proves that a slimline is certainly acceptable for this kind of segmenting. Nothing at all wrong with turning slimlines. I did 3 or 4 slimlines when I started turning, then quickly moved to the larger pens. But about a year ago, I started doing them again. Not all the time, but enough to know that they can be fun and really good looking. And like you said, they are really great to practice new ideas or skills.

Good Job!!

If you keep the blank that fat then sure. Not for my taste on that look. Just my opinion:)

EagleTa2

Good Job!!

If you keep the blank that fat then sure. Not for my taste on that look. Just my opinion:)

Hi John... I'm just curious and I value your input. What did you mean when you said "if you keep the blank that fat"...

Do you think they should be slimmer? I'm always looking for constructive criticism...no hurt feelings here.

Thanks
Geo

jttheclockman

Good Job!!

Hi John... I'm just curious and I value your input. What did you mean when you said "if you keep the blank that fat"...

Do you think they should be slimmer? I'm always looking for constructive criticism...no hurt feelings here.

Thanks
Geo

In my opinion I am a bushing to bushing type person with a hint of bulge on some kits such as a Sierra kit. It is tough to do with a slimline because of the small waste or centerband on them. Alot of people do away with the centerband and make their own so they can now be more concentric. To me I do not like the waspy look. I think slimlines if used should be just that slim. There are far better kits and more of them that lend themselves to blanks that have details such as yours.

This is just my own opinion which is worthless. The key here is if you like it then it is fine. You have to please no one except yourself unless you contracted a job out.:)

BSea

Good Job!!

Thanks
Geo

In my opinion I am a bushing to bushing type person with a hint of bulge on some kits such as a Sierra kit. It is tough to do with a slimline because of the small waste or centerband on them. Alot of people do away with the centerband and make their own so they can now be more concentric. To me I do not like the waspy look. I think slimlines if used should be just that slim. There are far better kits and more of them that lend themselves to blanks that have details such as yours.

This is just my own opinion which is worthless. The key here is if you like it then it is fine. You have to please no one except yourself unless you contracted a job out.:)
Hey John, I'm with you on how a slimline (using the centerband) looks best. I still think even turned down as you described, that the segmenting would be impressive. But I guess everything is subjective, and of course everyone has an opinion.:wink: My wife likes to tell me that I'm entitled to my opinion . . . . . . . . no matter how wrong it is.:rolleyes:

And Geo, as far as a better (inexpensive kit), I'd suggest the trimline. Basically the same, just uses a thicker centerband. That way, you can have it about as thick as you show, but without the skinny centerband. Or just do what you did with the 2nd pen, and eliminate the centerband entirely.

still so so new at this, but got some comfort pen center doodads and the comfort bushings to be able to get more breadth on slimlines.

should be able to turn a few this week. opens up a lot of design options.

IMHO due to the workable area left by the 7mm hole makes the slimline one of the more designer friendly kits out there. Looking forward to seeing if the new wider center brings added opportunities in turning a classic kit.

in the last month, I've done over a dozen, no two the same.

for one tubers, is there anything really better than the Sierra/Mesa/Lancer/WallStreet? haven't found it yet, but happy with those.

EagleTa2

Thanks for the input guys...it is truly appreciated. I'm not really a fan of the "waist" look as much... but the curvature does feel nice in the hand I think.

I've been reading up on eliminating the center band to avoid the narrowness there. I might just try that.

Lots of things to try here... most important to me is to make sure my turnings are perfectly round and perfectly dimensioned at the tip, center, and nib...

Those are the goals anyhow.

Thanks
Geo

DJBPenmaker

The finish is 20 coats of CA...then up to MM 12000. Got really excited when I saw the lustre at MM 4000...and I think it just got better from there.

These are some of my best yet...at least I think so. C&C welcomed and encouraged... I know I need work on photography.

Thanks
Geo
Lovely pens, what thickness sheet metal did you use?
Derek

jttheclockman

Thanks
Geo
Lovely pens, what thickness sheet metal did you use?
Derek

Hello Derek and welcome to the IAP site and also to the wonderful world of segmenting. Unfortunately you stumbled onto a 3 year old thread and the OP has not been here in 3 years. He did answer that question though in his very first post in this thread. Sheet metal is not the choice of metals to use in segmenting. It is hard enough to keep a segmented blank together when turning and sheet metal will not be good. You want to use soft metals such as certain brass and aluminum. Thickness is not really a problem but want to use something that shows up well.

Anyway good luck and hopefully you do get into the art of segmenting.

DJBPenmaker

Thank you for that. I've now found the original post and got the info. I'm new to forums and finding it difficult to navigate my way around. It'll come with time.
Cheers Derek

Thanks

Geo

Those pens look great! I am working on making some segmented pens myself and this is definitely an inspiration for me to try some new things! Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom