inspired by Mikes "segmenting with aluminum and wood"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMayoIII

I've done some more simple segmenting in the past, usually just a couple of pieces of contrasting woods separated by thin shims of flashing, but never really got creative. After seeing Mikes write up on segmenting I decided to give it a try. I was enjoying it so much I took it a couple steps more as you can see in the pic.:) After segmenting the cube of timborana between some zebrawood, as Mike shows in his write up, I rotated the blank and cut some more 45's and glued in some more flashing. I wasn't completely satisfied there so I set up my mortising attachment on my drill press and punched out some 1/4" diamond shapes in the center of the cubes and filled them with a silver pearl resin. I'll be posting pics of the completed pen once I finish it, hopefully this weekend sometime. Ideas, suggestions, questions and comments are welcome!

Attachments

• segmentblank1.jpg
    segmentblank1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 845
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bigdaddy

You be careful turning that....I want to see the finished product...soak it in CA before and during the turn so it stays together!

There's a lot of good work in there, very impressive

Can't wait to see that pen. I have one waiting for the glue to set that is a bit different than the last one too. I will post tomorrow. How about some pics on how you did your blank I really like that.

RMayoIII

Ok so here is some of the progress I've made. Rough turned it to round with no trouble. Started that by knocking the corners off with my sanding disk then went to the lathe using carbide tools.
2013-03-29_18-01-09_972.jpg
Next I drilled 1/4" hole through the center on the lathe, again no trouble yet....:) Coated the blank with ca to strengthen, chucked up my 10mm bit for the final drill size and drilled through the first half without a hitch.:cool: Over to the bandsaw, cut the first barrel off the blank. Now back to the lathe to finish drilling.... I assumed the four jaw chuck would be good enough to hold the blank segments together:frown:
2013-03-29_18-47-06_671.jpg
I was able to find the little pieces of aluminum and glue it all back up with a little sanding. Next I parted off 1/4" of each end of both blanks down to the brass
2013-03-29_20-53-03_196.jpg
and glued on more aluminum and silver pearl resin I made when filling in the mortise holes
2013-03-29_21-39-26_558.jpg
I will hopefully be finishing the pen later today!

jttheclockman

I am really seeing some fine segmenting work happening here lately and I am impressed. I guess I am going to have to step up my game abit here to compete.

I like your ideas and it seems to be coming out well. I like to drill the entire blank out with the smallest bit needed first and then drill the other half later with the larger bit using collet chucks.

This should be a real keeper when done. Thanks for showing the progress photos. Keep up the great work. Remember the isky is the limit and your imagination will take you to new levels. Hope others will join in.

gbpens

Using the motise and then filling with resin is more than a step beyond. I knew that mortise machine had a use other than the typical joinery. Really inventive!

jttheclockman

View attachment 92418
Finally finished! It's not exactly perfect but for my first "real" segmenting I think I did well.

I think you also did quite well. I wish the photos were better or more of them to really show off the work. Now do not stop here. Take it to the next level or at least do a different combination. I like your thinking. Keep it up and thanks for showing.

RMayoIII

View attachment 92418
Finally finished! It's not exactly perfect but for my first "real" segmenting I think I did well.

I think you also did quite well. I wish the photos were better or more of them to really show off the work. Now do not stop here. Take it to the next level or at least do a different combination. I like your thinking. Keep it up and thanks for showing.

Thanks for the comments, I'm working on getting better pics. I took these with my phone and it's not the greatest at taking pics. The wife is playing around with her camera right now as I type so we'll see what comes of it!

RMayoIII

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I'll be working on more soon, I've got some ideas bouncing around that I'm trying to nail down...

Top Bottom