Im stumped.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chewy3939

I'm stumped as to how in the world to cut this...
Any advise?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 405
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

Use elements of the herringbone 360 process? The blank might not look like it does on the paper, but it should look the same when round.

Think of the blank rounded, then think of how to get there.

Chewy3939

I saw skiprats setup and was blown away with the results but also by the complexity of the jig and whole system. I was looking for something more along the lines of table saws band saws and handsaws.

preacherman

I have never tried anything like this it looks very interesting.

The problem is thinking about cutting it with the flat sides down flat against the table, I don't think that could ever be done. To make this pattern, it appears to me that if you made a sled to rotate the blank to a 45 degree position it would be fairly simply from there. Rather than having the flat sides on the table of your saw you would have a corner of the blank down toward it. All you would need to do then is cut as you would a normal scallop. It may be necessary to drill the hole in the center of the blank because you may not reach the center with this cutting process.

I hope this makes sense. I'll see if I can do this when I get home this evening and post a pic to show.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
what if you drew 2 lines crossing at 90 degrees on the top of the blank, and imagined the 4 quarters it would make if cut down through the blank. that would be easy to make and then glue 4 of them together.

Oh and the angles are cut with the blank 45 degrees to the table not flat on the table - V
attachment.php

attachment.php

You can see it better exploded into 4 different blanks glued together.

Attachments

• blank sample.jpg
    blank sample.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 420
  • blank sample 2.jpg
    blank sample 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

Chewy3939

Mredburn,
I was blind... But now I see. Thankyou so much for those CAD models. I understand now! Really a cut above. This is why I love IAP. Strangers going out of their way to help one another.

Top Bottom