Huon Pine & Wenge my first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgsean

I am trying segmenting for the first time. I used a Tasmanian Timber called Huon Pine and Wenge with copper in between. I tried CA glue and it just came apart, so then tried 2 part epoxy which worked. This pen is called Dayacom here in Oz, but I think its the same as Zen? Finished with CA glue

Attachments

• Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball.jpg
    Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball1.jpg
    Huon Pine & Wenge Segmented Zen Rollerball1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 287
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This looks really good Sean.. Try something just a little different on the next one. Decide which wood is the main attraction. Then use about 1/2 or even 2/3's of the blanks size as that, then fill out the blank with equal parts of the offsetting wood at each end. Keep that metal too it looks great. Proportion is really important and I think you will like it too.

Last edited:

plantman

Very nice first segmenting Sean. I go along with Mike on the 2/3eds 1/3ed proportions. Makes your design more balanced. Also, if you are going to use chrome or silver fittings it will be more in harmony if you use the same color rings. If you haven't already, look up Mike's thread dated 6/3/2013 on members showing their segmented pens. May give you some new ideas. Keep up the unique pen turning, it only gets better and better. Comming from up and over. Good Luck!! Jim S

Krash

Very nice first attempt at segmenting Sean! And your finish looks pro!

Segmenting opens up a whole new arena of creativity that will motivate you to new and appealing designs. Make sure and heed Mike's 1/3 - 2/3 weighting, at least for the first few. Although not universal in design, it is a good rule of thumb in most designs. Keep that ratio in mind as you look at art or photography and you will start to see it. It's called the rule of thirds and is a basic concept in design.

That said, nice use of copper! I have been wanting to delve into copper but haven't come up with a design I am satisfied with yet.

On the copper glue up, did you rough it up first with 100 grit sandpaper? If not, you should so the CA has something to grab onto. Also, let the segmenting sit overnight to cure completely then be mindful of heat when turning or sanding as it will soften the glue. And, turn those areas slowly with a sharp tool.

Keep at it and post your next results!

larryc

Very nice first segmenting Sean. I go along with Mike on the 2/3eds 1/3ed proportions. Makes your design more balanced. Also, if you are going to use chrome or silver fittings it will be more in harmony if you use the same color rings. If you haven't already, look up Mike's thread dated 6/3/2013 on members showing their segmented pens. May give you some new ideas. Keep up the unique pen turning, it only gets better and better. Comming from up and over. Good Luck!! Jim S

Always looking for ideas but when I tried to look at Mike's thread 6/3/2013 the furthest back I could get was 11/11/2013.

Krash

Always looking for ideas but when I tried to look at Mike's thread 6/3/2013 the furthest back I could get was 11/11/2013.

He's just referring to the Segmenting Forum's "Show us Your Pen" posting at
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f179/no-comments-just-post-new-segmented-pens-likes-111419/

tgsean

Thanks for all the comments, great help. I am off on a holiday to Israel and Turkey starting tomorrow, but on my return I want to try more segmentation with the principles mentioned. I did not sand the copper, so hence the problem! Wiser now. Thanks

bluesman

I like the way the copper looks between the pine and the wenge, but have to agree it maybe didn't pop as much as it could of with the pen kit. It is one of the challenges I have when putting kits together. It doesn't seem to go away with segmented turning as you are now matching all the pieces together.

Good finish. You have done a great job for your first go. Keep up the good work

I have got to get back in the shop....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom