how thick?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seht

How do i find out the Kerf on a saw.
I have this old table saw that was given to me and I don't see any markings on the blade. Do I measure from the outside edge of one tooth to the opposite side of another tooth?

I want to do some segmenting, so I think I need to know what size the saw blade is to be able to find or make my insert material the same thickness.

Thanks,

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

The kerf is the width of the blade tips. But if the blade has any wobble in it it, will be a bit wider. Like Jim said will be the best result.... Take a test cut and measure...

jttheclockman

Hello Scott

Jim did give you a very good answer. That would be the best way because even if you did get a good measurement on the blade itself does not account for small amounts of runout which I am sure you have stating that you have an older saw. So a 3/16" kerf blade may cause a slightly wider kerf due to this runout. Never less but can be more.

Then match your inlay material to the kerf. Do not make too tight because you need room for glue.:) good luck and welcome to the great world of segmenting where your mind is its only limitation. Look forward to seeing your work and if you have questions fire away. Love to talk segmenting.

Brian G

After I cut a kerf part way through a test scrap, I use a pad of Post-It notes and fill the kerf with as many as will fit until the last one wrinkles. Then I use a calipers to measure the thickness of the paper in the kerf. Subtract one piece of paper to represent glue, and that's the thickness I use for a segment.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
After I cut a kerf part way through a test scrap, I use a pad of Post-It notes and fill the kerf with as many as will fit until the last one wrinkles. Then I use a calipers to measure the thickness of the paper in the kerf. Subtract one piece of paper to represent glue, and that's the thickness I use for a segment.

I use a set of spark plug gap strips. Costs about $3.00 and you have every imaginable combination and thickness. Very accurate!

And I do cut the kerf first!

Last edited:
Top Bottom