How do you make this???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chewy3939

Does anyone have a process to make a pen like this? What is this even called? I really want to make this for the bottom half of an Indian blanket. I appreciate any help or guidance anyone can offer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 689
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

I believe there is a tutorial in the library on making a "herringbone" blank. That's about what your photo looks like. Then cut in half or fourths and alternate the pieces. Does that make sense?

Joe S.

actually I don't think that's a herringbone...
My thought: segment thin stock to look similar to the colorgrain type blanks at an angle, slice it into 4 parts and alternate the way they slant and glue that up. That should get you something like that blank.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Glue up 3/4 x 1/8th in strips 10-12 inches long. Shorter may work until you have a 10x5-6 inch block. set your miter gage on your saw to 15 degrees or what ever you like. That will cut the block on an angle. Decide on how many panels you want and divide that number into 360. Set your saw blade angle at that answer. Cut off the end waste, flip it end for end, front to back after each pass. Not left to right. glue up the wedges.

bjbear76

Glue up 3/4 x 1/8th in strips 10-12 inches long. Shorter may work until you have a 10x5-6 inch block. set your miter gage on your saw to 15 degrees or what ever you like. That will cut the block on an angle. Decide on how many panels you want and divide that number into 360. Set your saw blade angle at that answer. Cut off the end waste, flip it end for end, front to back after each pass. Not left to right. glue up the wedges.

Right! Just as simple as that! :hypnotized: LOL

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You could get pretty close to that pattern with a router....
I've done loads of zigzag designs with a small router in my toolpost and using the lathe as the indexer.
I reckon that the main tool used here was a decent tablesaw though.

I must admit that that actual pen does look pretty cool!! Any idea if it was someone here that made it? I'd like to see more of his/her work.

LarryDNJR

This is a 360 Herringbone.

It was a major pain to create the blank and scary to turn the pen because I had a few other blowouts.

LarryDNJR

Attachments

• Atlas Satin Nickel 360 Herringbone.jpg
    Atlas Satin Nickel 360 Herringbone.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 203

Chewy3939

Skiprat,
How do you usually do zig zags? I'm also trying to figure out how to make something along the lines of this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 174

Chewy3939

Larry that's a great looking pen! I've looked into the herringbone but quickly looked out of it due to the difficulty and risks.

Chewy3939

Do you have a method for doing that which doesn't involve those awesome tools that we wish we had? Using a band saw miter saw table saw etc...
Killer pen blank though.

KenV

Matt -- that appears to be 12 piece stave construction - a pretty standard segmented turning construction technique. The design is probably table saw based, but could have been done with a sliding miter saw. Some of the better segmented turners use the Festool sliding saw because of its tight tolerance. The thickness could have been quite a bit thicker to facilitate handling and gluing the staves, and would have been turned away. Could have been cut with a Byrnes precision saw too.

The strips are very well matched for thickness and the glueup is excellent. The meeting of the points is dependent on precision in the thickness and tight control of the glueup.

Tibbett's Book on segmented woodturning is a good starting point for staved segmentation.

Top Bottom