glue-ups with stabilized wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dcannon

Hi Everyone,

I've looked for the answer to this on this forum along with the stabilizing forum and am not sure it's been discussed. I like to do segmented work, both for pens and other turnings. I find myself sometimes avoiding certain wood combinations that may be very aesthetically pleasing, but would seemingly move in too many different directions and different amounts, possibly causing cracks or delamination.

It was suggested by a fellow turner to try stabilizing the wood prior to gluing it up to prevent some of the movement. I like the idea, but before I think about investing in stabilizing equipment, I was thinking this through and wondering how to glue them up. Can standard wood glue be used on stabilized wood?? I've used CA in the past for unstabilized wood, and don't like the joints as much as wood-glue joints, and have even had trouble with CA failing during turning. Maybe it's a little more brittle?

So, if I pull the trigger on stabilizing wood to open up some more segmenting options, can I still use my Titebond that I use on normal wood?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Dan

Try sending some pieces off to someone who stabilizes wood before investing in the equipment to see if it will work for you. Wood-N-Whimsies does it as well as many of the IAP Members. Also try different brands of CA. One of the most overlooked is FastCap's 2P-10 CA glues. I have found it to be superior to segmented glue ups than any other.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
In my experience, stabilized wood glues just fine. I know of a number of segmented vessel turners who are stabilizing their segments before gluing up. They are using Titebond II without any issues. I have stabilized some Spanish oak burl and then glued ends on to make pen boxes and the Titebond has held just fine.

dcannon

Thanks for the replies and the input guys...Sounds like it's worth a shot at the very least! I'll report back here once I have a few samples completed one way or the other.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom