Gift Card Segmented

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I did another pair of gift card segmented slimlines this weekend. This time padauk and wenge. Some tips that I learned after trying this a couple times:

I cut each blank into 5 pieces at 45 degree angles, swapping every-other. I cut the middle piece into a slightly larger trapezoid to allow for waste when cutting in half (I use the table saw).

Glued with thin CA, I soaked the joints in thin CA a few times too.

Avoid embossed numbers if possible. I trimmed the cards flat with a chisel, but I still had one glaring flaw due to this. I didn't sand the surface image off the card, with a tight joint you can't see any color, but might be worth it with light color woods.

On the first one I couldn't escape the siren song of sandpaper, bad move. Though I didn't get much contamination between the woods, the card stained red from the padauk. The second one was with the skew only, much better result.

I really like how this dresses up the slimlines. I might give this a shot with a single barrel modified slim - the twist kind of messed with the effect a little. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20170505_120028.jpg
    IMG_20170505_120028.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_20170507_184114.jpg
    IMG_20170507_184114.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_20170507_184156.jpg
    IMG_20170507_184156.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 415
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I just started playing around with segmenting and I was wondering what you cut your 45s with?

Hey Alex. I cut mine using a table saw with a miter sled, which I already had from a previous project. The nice thing about this style is that precision and kerf are not really important (like with the Celtic knot), all you really need is a straight cut that is close to the same angle. A miter saw with zero clearance insert would probably work fine, or even just a hand saw and sandpaper.

Dehn0045

Very nice pair of pens. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rick. The response from Mark gave my post new life. I've been meaning to do some more of these, possibly a single blank version. A pen/pencil pair is a good idea too.

RogerC

Really nice choice of woods! I'm just now contemplating some segmented blanks myself. I've got some pretty special material on-hand and think it would make a really nice segmented pen, so I've been trying to soak up as much info and look at as many pens as I can.

Top Bottom