Getting better

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just trying to avoid striking out with these buggers. I remade my bandsaw sled and can now get accurate, repeatable slices down to 1/8".

These are 1/4 ", maple and walnut with beech veneer. Also a first for me: Wipe on Polyurethane finish. 4 coats, 3 hrs between first 2 and 1 day between the last 2 (was busy at the other end of the workshop!); light sanding between each. I like the finish.

C & C welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Those look great, Mark!

I'd be interested in the design of your bandsaw sled too. I need to make one myself someday.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bandsaw sled

Here you go Chuck and Edgar!

I have no problem sharing as I can take no credit for the design; although I have no idea where I saw this first. I like simple and this is it for me.

I have made several others for celtic knots, etc., but I really like this one. For the price of cutting boards, I may just remake my others.

The first sled kept getting stuck on something. I checked all tolerances, cleaned the table top, sanded down the channel edges lightly... I have no idea why it kept binding up.

The second sled has a larger bed, a longer channel thingy, and is made from a Walmart cutting board and the channel thingy is from Incra.

But, it is as smooth as can be, I can adjust the channel ______ (you know what) to get a close fit, and I can move the left guide blank to whatever measurement I want. I have actually gotten clean 1/32' slices.

Attachments

• IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2599.jpg
    IMG_2599.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 250

jttheclockman

Mark we are going to make a segmenter out of you yet.:) With that simple design you can make so many designs. You can spiral them around the pen instead of checkered. You can add accent pieces between all woods. So many things you can do. Looks good from here. Thanks for showing.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark we are going to make a segmenter out of you yet.:) With that simple design you can make so many designs. You can spiral them around the pen instead of checkered. You can add accent pieces between all woods. So many things you can do. Looks good from here. Thanks for showing.

Hi JT. A long way to go, but I'm trying! And having fun :wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mark, thanks very much for showing this. I have one similar for my little table saw that was right behind you in the shed when you and, Ernie were here. Now need to make one for the little band saw. You're a great help, always.:wink:

jfoh

If you drill the blanks before you cut the segments up you can glue them up faster right onto the brass tube with epoxy. You can turn them into a spiral or brick pattern. Segmented blanks are fun but very addictive.

robutacion

Hi Mark,

Sometimes, less is better. What I mean is, very simple sled design, indeed.

The segmentation and glue up looks very neat on that pen so, I can see a few more segmented pens coming from your wood-works, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Well done,

PS: I never used that finish and I wonder, would it be suitable for finishing larger areas/pieces...???

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark,

Sometimes, less is better. What I mean is, very simple sled design, indeed.

The segmentation and glue up looks very neat on that pen so, I can see a few more segmented pens coming from your wood-works, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Well done,

PS: I never used that finish and I wonder, would it be suitable for finishing larger areas/pieces...???

Cheers
George

Hi George:

It was the first time I used Wipe On Polyurethane (Oil based) - and it is recommended for flooring, so I believe it has many uses. I have read of other turners using it and I had a can, so I thought why not? I really like the feel of the finish.

As an oil-based urethane, it takes longer to dry than water-based, but is more flexible than CA, and is easy to apply. I let it dry and worked on these!

I like 1, 2, 5 and 6. The others are off. Just experimenting with the sled, glue ups, timber and veneer combinations. I really like #2.

Attachments

• IMG_2597.jpg
    IMG_2597.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you drill the blanks before you cut the segments up you can glue them up faster right onto the brass tube with epoxy. You can turn them into a spiral or brick pattern. Segmented blanks are fun but very addictive.

Hi Jon: Yes, I have done that and it makes it very easy to get things aligned. These I did as a trial run to see if I can make them in batches. With the BASH, FLGAPG; MPG and MAPG coming up I need a few blanks to use as donations.

southernclay

Mark good job on these, I really like #2 of 6 in the post above, clean lines and color separation. I've never really appreciated segmenting as much until I've started to try it a little....brings on a new respect for sure, and you are light years ahead and me!

Top Bottom