Galvanized sheet metal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I haven't used it, but I wonder WHY you would choose that. Galvanized steel seems like a icky thing to turn, especially since you can pick up a 6" x 10ft roll of Aluminum flashing for a couple bucks - much more appealing for multiple reasons IMO.

Exabian

I haven't used it, but I wonder WHY you would choose that. Galvanized steel seems like a icky thing to turn, especially since you can pick up a 6" x 10ft roll of Aluminum flashing for a couple bucks - much more appealing for multiple reasons IMO.

Icky? It's silver like aluminum. Well any way I found a 24" x 36" sheet and was wondering if it can used. Here's a pic:

image-2904331359.jpg

nanosec12

galvanized steel is corrosion resistant, however as soon as you turn it you will expose the bare 'steel' underneath....
It will rust if not sealed properly so be careful...going to have to make sure it's completely dry...it might even pick up some moisture from the surrounding wood and rust anyway.

either way, it might be worth an attempt to see how it comes out.

Exabian

galvanized steel is corrosion resistant, however as soon as you turn it you will expose the bare 'steel' underneath....
It will rust if not sealed properly so be careful...going to have to make sure it's completely dry...it might even pick up some moisture from the surrounding wood and rust anyway.

either way, it might be worth an attempt to see how it comes out.

With that said do you think its turnable?

triw51

#1 The material used to galvanize metal is toxic to humans so when you cut it be careful. safe in an inert state but the dust or fumes from cutting is not good.
#2 Steel is harder that alum. and IMHO should not be turned on a wood lathe again IMHO

Last edited:

Exabian

#1 The material used to galvanize metal is toxic to humans so when you cut it be careful. safe in an inert state but the dust or fumes from cutting is not good.
#2 Steel is harder that alum. and IMHO should not be turned on a wood lathe again IMHO

Thank you. After reading this and from what I found online I think I will just leave it alone.

I would worry about the hardness of the material. I bet it will create too much heat while turning if you can turn it at all. Also I spend a lot of time sharpening even doing aluminum. I can't imagine how much time I would spend sharpening if I was trying to do steel?

Charlie_W

Drilling would create more heat also.

How well would your choice of glue hold up? Some years ago, the auto industry was using some galvanized steel for rust prone body parts......the paint kept peeling off. :frown:

Top Bottom