First Segmented Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Well--sort of. Found a Celtic knot tutorial by Gary Greenburg in the Library, decided to give it a try on the 4th of July. His tutorial was on the double, but I was only going to try a single knot. Walnut blank, the cuts on sides 1 & 2 went really well, as did gluing in maple using thick CA. Went well enough that I decided to go ahead with cutting sides 3 & 4--soon discovered that the CA may not have been the best choice of glues and had to reassemble the blank a few times.

After time to dry, I drilled for a TrimLine, epoxied the tubes and started turning. At the very end, last few thousandths on the finial end...had a slight catch and the explosion happened. I had successfully completed a Celtic NOT.

Took a nap, went out to clean up and decided to keep the lower barrel, and turn a new upper of maple with walnut knot to tie it together. Stuck with the 2-sided cut and used epoxy to glue in the inserts. Turned successfully, though next time i'll stick with a thin kerf blade instead of the full kerf so we get a finer line.

Learned a LOT in the process. Curious on the choice of glues that you use for segmenting wood and also when brass and/or aluminum are added. My searches went a lot of different directions, but I did see Gorilla Glue mentioned and I did have one success with epoxy. Titebond (wood glue) ever successful??

Thanks for listening--this won't be the last segment I do!!

earl

Attachments

• First Segment A.jpg
    First Segment A.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 239
  • First Segment B.jpg
    First Segment B.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 211

bpgoldo

Earl, lots of nice to complement here. Seems like this project turned into a "graduate" level course. Good for you for taking a chance on design and risking. You made good choices, show terrific instincts. Let's see more....only right side up please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom