First Round Segmenting Effort

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikebpeters

I took the lessons learned from my last segmenting effort and applied them here and I like the result far better.

For this one I took a piece of walnut and cut 1 inch holes in it. I then used a plug cutter to cut one inch pieces of oak. I wrapped the oak in aluminum and glued the plugs into the walnut and then cut and worked the blanks as per normal.

Here is the resulting Jr Gent. I will definitely go this route again, except next time with nicer wood. The only flaw that I can see is that I forgot to orient the grain in the plugs so they are different by about ninety degrees. If I were microsoft I would call this a feature.

20130506_185830_zps9cb75dc2.jpg

20130506_185847_zps8ae5802d.jpg

20130506_185903_zps7d32d0b7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

Brilliant idea on the plug cutter. I haven't done much segmenting, but I'll keep that one in mind!

Is the aluminum you used soda can strips, or did you buy sheet aluminum for the purpose?

Fine work, and a handsome pen!

jcm71

Mike, this is so simple it is brilliant. One question. When wrapping the aluminum, how do you hide the seam where the edges meet?

mikebpeters

I didn't have to worry about hiding the seam because the plugs were one inch and the blank ended up as 3/4 so I just made sure that the seam was on the outside part that would be cut/turned off anyway. I'll take pics next time, and rest assured there will be a next time.

Top Bottom