First attempt and failure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VotTak

My first attempt to make something segmented and I failed right away. Well, lesson learned. Will disassemble this one and will prepare to do all the steps much more accurate.
It is just another evidence of how one wrong step will ruin everything. pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VotTak

I'm sorry, I had to make it clear. Top leaf is bigger than lower leaf(in regards to picture). It is a result if drilling off the center of the blank.

StuartCovey

Hey, It's still a great pen though! It looks awesome!
I wouldn't think it would be worth the work to disassemble it and remake it. It looks like it was made that way.

magier412

Hey, It's still a great pen though! It looks awesome!
I wouldn't think it would be worth the work to disassemble it and remake it. It looks like it was made that way.

Totally agree with Stuart. Until you said what you thought was wrong, I didn't see it either. I can understand you wanting your vision of balance, but it's lovely as is...I wouldn't take it apart, I'd just make a different one. :)

Well done as far as I'm concerned, and if you learned a few things that help you down the line, then even better!

Just my two cents...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'd keep it too. Except for that minor problem, it's a very nice looking pen & that kit is not very expensive. You may enjoy looking back at your first segmenting attempt in a year or two after mastering the technique.

jimofsanston

I keep all my pens. Mistakes included. Like it was said above. I can see my advancement in each one. Segments comparison of my first ones and later ones show what I have learned. And hey I use the first ones everyday and sell the good ones.

79spitfire

I think it looks great, and no one (including the critics here) could even see the 'error' until it was pointed out.

I've seen bigger 'mistakes' sell. Your off to a great start. The design and the color combo is a winner.

VotTak

So, I made 1 more attempt and failed again. Here is a result:

Again I failed on bad, not centered drilling of the blank and as a result I see different size of wings on segments. Although this time I drill it on lathe, but I believe that I did it wrong.
Can someone, please help me out... Please describe, how do you achieve dead on center drilling of blank on lathe or drill press, or suggest video or pictures. I appreciate your help very much.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• failed2.jpg
    failed2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 190
Top Bottom