Finishing a segment with Acrylic and wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

Looking for some advice. Getting ready to try a new segment. So far the only ones I've done have been with different types of wood. Now I have an idea for a wood/acrylic combo. But my question is how to finish it. How would you wet sand the acrylic without causing issues with the wood?

Even with a stabilized wood, while you could use Micromesh to sand the whole thing down, I would assume you will need a layer or two of CA to make sure the "sheen" matches, correct?

Any advice would be great! Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

You're going to have fun with this. Adding in metal borders between also looks cool. You will want a CA finish. Just be sure to sand the acrylic with MM pads until the scratches are gone before the CA. You can also buff it if you have buffing wheels. Concentrate more on the scratches in the acrylic than the ones in the wood. CA makes most wood scratches disappear but will not help the acrylic scratches. Hope this helps.

keithncsu

You're going to have fun with this. Adding in metal borders between also looks cool. You will want a CA finish. Just be sure to sand the acrylic with MM pads until the scratches are gone before the CA. You can also buff it if you have buffing wheels. Concentrate more on the scratches in the acrylic than the ones in the wood. CA makes most wood scratches disappear but will not help the acrylic scratches. Hope this helps.

It does. But are you still wet sanding with the micro mesh like normal? Does that cause any issues with the natural wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leehljp

Member Liaison
But are you still wet sanding with the micro mesh like normal? Does that cause any issues with the natural wood?

I haven't figured that out myself. But some have been able to do it without a problem.

OTOH, When I have situations like this, instead of sanding, I use a very very sharp scraper at high speeds. These will smooth the wood and plastic to glass smooth without smearing. A good thick layer of CA can bring a good shine over that.

Top Bottom