Epoxy and aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I have been trying to do scallops this week with a strip of Aluminum in between the pieces. After gluing them up with Epoxy I decided to cut the excess off on the bandsaw and with just slight pressure the pieces popped off. it seems like the epoxy does not keep the aluminum stuck to the wood. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Depending on what kind of aluminum you are using, flashing strips or cards have a lube on them from manufacture and for corrosion protection. It must be removed and the surface slightly sanded to give it tooth for the adhesive to bite!

If you are using pop, beer or other food can stock. You will have to sand through the epoxy inks used of the out side of the cans and the clear epoxy coating on the inside to prevent the product form picking up the metallic taste. It is tough to remove chemically and sanding is the fastest and easiest way.

Then wipe down with acetone to remove any residue.

The coating on the outside is to prevent counterfeiting of the more popular and expensive brand names around the world. With the stripping and reprinting of cheap substitutes!

Remember when using adhesive on any surfaces, clean, dry and with a slight tooth on the surfaces, will work better. Unless the instructions state that it will work on smooth surfaces.

The 3 above items will cause most failures of a joint.
:clown:

StephenM

When I do scallops, I use aluminum flashing from Lowes. I cut it roughly to size with a pair of tin snips, rough it up on both sides with 100 grit sandpaper and then put a dab of medium CA on it. Let it sit for a few minutes and put the scallop piece on it. Let it sit for a few more minutes (5-10) and then use the disk sander to get it all back even with the blank.

The problem with the bandsaw is probably the teeth are too coarse and it's grabbing the aluminum and yanking it off.

Mike8850

I do the same way that Stephen does with good results.

IMG_5789-001.jpg

Like was said before make sure both surfaces are clean and smooth.
Mike

brownsfn2

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I did sand the aluminum but maybe not enough. I also wiped it down with alcohol to remove residue but maybe not enough. I am going to try again in the next couple of weeks and will also not take it to the band saw this time. ;)

TerryDowning

If using Epoxy, make sure you have equal parts and they are mixed thoroughly. Every time my epoxy has failed, it was not mot mixed properly/thoroughly.

If it fell apart trimming on the bandsaw, then it would fall apart on the lathe when turning at speeds.

Also make sure that epoxy has had sufficient cure time prior to putting any power tool to it.

I have had good luck with Epoxy and Gorilla Glue. CA gave me all kinds of issues.

As suggested, rough up the aluminum with sand paper, wipe down with alcohol or acetone and make sure it is dry before gluing. (Unless using gorilla glue, then you need to moisten a bit with water to activate the Glue.)

Top Bottom