A Different Chevron Method - Finished Blank Only

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Here is the finished blank; not sure if I'll assemble the pen.

For those interested in the construction discussion: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f179/different-chevron-method-work-progress-155786/

Not sure why the pictures are dark, I'll try to lighten them.

This was a first attempt, so a lot of room for improvement.

Pattern at depth did lose some symmetry, but It's better than I anticipated.

The gaps between the inlays is not good, but also better than anticipated after I drilled the tube hole and examined the inside with a light.

The pattern is nice, and I can see the possibility for an optical illusion for checkered boxes with different colored woods - that would be a great modification.

So, back to the start in a few days.

All comments/critique is welcomed either here, or in the discussion thread. I did this post for those who are not interested in the background.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

have to say that came out better than I had thought. Tighten up on measurements and you may have something there. I would not use so many segments when trying to hone in on the technique at first. But sure does add color. So much needs to be dead on when working this kind of art. Sure wish others were into this. Gives me the urges to hurry up and get back at it. Like what you are doing. It is the size of the pieces worked with that is mind blowing part of this.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
have to say that came out better than I had thought. Tighten up on measurements and you may have something there. I would not use so many segments when trying to hone in on the technique at first. But sure does add color. So much needs to be dead on when working this kind of art. Sure wish others were into this. Gives me the urges to hurry up and get back at it. Like what you are doing. It is the size of the pieces worked with that is mind blowing part of this.

After I drilled tube hole almost every joint showed light, some through the CA, some with actual open places (which I did fill with CA). I really finished it expecting a very poor result, but useful learning experience. In the end, although I won't apply a finish and assemble the pen it came out closer to what I would like.

I'm really intrigued to work on the optical illusion pattern, so that will be a nice challenge for the next 2-3 months. However, I also have 4 other segmenting patterns I wanted to explore. Just not enough time.

We may not always agree on some issues, but I appreciate your comments, and yes, you need to get back to the shop :wink:.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Looking good brother. I have a few idea's for your next one!! I'll call and discuss my madness with you :)

I know this isn't a pen, but it's definite front page material!! I love it brother!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not so critical. I love it!

I'm actually almost dying to make a pen out of. :biggrin:
And you know how I feel about making pens :biggrin:

jttheclockman

After I drilled tube hole almost every joint showed light, some through the CA, some with actual open places (which I did fill with CA). I really finished it expecting a very poor result, but useful learning experience. In the end, although I won't apply a finish and assemble the pen it came out closer to what I would like.

I'm really intrigued to work on the optical illusion pattern, so that will be a nice challenge for the next 2-3 months. However, I also have 4 other segmenting patterns I wanted to explore. Just not enough time.

We may not always agree on some issues, but I appreciate your comments, and yes, you need to get back to the shop :wink:.

No one ever agrees on everything. I have quite a few projects I too want to try that will be different or at least some are or will be my way of honoring past member pens shown here with my touch.

This maybe a pattern you are talking about. Many different patters can be gleened from Ted Sachs thread wrapping blanks. Now that is a talent. He is someone I invited here a few years ago because I was always captivated with thread wrapping and wanted to learn but never pursued it. He has taken it to another level. wish he would show up more here too.

http://www.fishingphotos.net/photopost/data/510/medium/720buttwraps_001.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This maybe a pattern you are talking about. Many different patters can be gleened from Ted Sachs thread wrapping blanks. Now that is a talent. He is someone I invited here a few years ago because I was always captivated with thread wrapping and wanted to learn but never pursued it. He has taken it to another level. wish he would show up more here too.

http://www.fishingphotos.net/photopost/data/510/medium/720buttwraps_001.jpg

[/COLOR]

Yup, something similar. Here is another, just will be restricted to 3-4 colors.

Attachments

• stock-vector-seamless-geometric-pattern-with-geometric-shapes-rhombus-colorful-zigzags-looks-lik.jpg
    stock-vector-seamless-geometric-pattern-with-geometric-shapes-rhombus-colorful-zigzags-looks-lik.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 161

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Shows great promise. I have a whole bucket full of experiments that never make it to a pen. I'm sure you'll get there and have fun along the journey.

its_virgil

Chevron is the French work for "rafter" and I just realized why Chevron Petroleum has the logo they have. Anyway.. rafter on!

I really like what you are doing and I admire your creativity and patience and tenacity. I tried some simple segmenting once and just do not have the patience it takes to cut and glue, cut and glue, cut and glue...

It is nice that we do not have to be good at something to admire it and the work it takes to create such beauty. Thanks Mark for sharing and for the push you may be giving many who enjoy segmenting. Once again...rafter on!

Do a good turn daily!
Don

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Chevron is the French work for "rafter" and I just realized why Chevron Petroleum has the logo they have. Anyway.. rafter on!

I really like what you are doing and I admire your creativity and patience and tenacity. I tried some simple segmenting once and just do not have the patience it takes to cut and glue, cut and glue, cut and glue...

It is nice that we do not have to be good at something to admire it and the work it takes to create such beauty. Thanks Mark for sharing and for the push you may be giving many who enjoy segmenting. Once again...rafter on!

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks for the kind comments Don. Not sure if you caught my veiled poke in the previous thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f179/different-chevron-method-work-progress-155786/.

While a gentle poke, the sentiment was true. I was a failure of the "New Math" system instituted by my High School. My brother was a year older, the last year in a rigid, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig, Calculus, Analysis sequence. I then was in a "Self Paced Achievement" sequence. When one skill was learned, the next was presented. Alas, I did not learn much, while my brother excelled in Math in future careers.

Sorry for the grumblings.

I do like the segmenting chores/patterns I am playing with, and I continue to hope others will take whatever kernel of experience I can detail and expand it. As a teacher (former), I still enjoy "teaching", and hope others will take my efforts and further the designs/techniques. There is no self-promotion in this; a library is there for others to learn from the documented past.

I still don't like snakes!

its_virgil

I still don't like snakes!

I know you don't. But you do appreciate the work it takes to make them nice and flawless. I did not intend to squelch others from trying segmenting.

I did read your previous posts and even though you slept in Algebra class, your numbers look good.

And what was I doing when you were sleeping in Algebra class? I was teaching algebra to others who were sleeping in class. Rafter on!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom