Copper color to segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daddy1

I just started doing some pens with aluminum and I really like how it comes out. I would love to do the same with different colors, like a copper color. Any idea if there is different colors of flashing out there or a different way to get in more color other than the silver that come with the aluminum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

You can get small sheets of brass and copper at hobby stores.

They no longer carry it. At least not at the stores within a hundred miles of me. I've checked when I've been in them.
Use online metals, I think it is.

Skeleton2014

Hobby Lobby sells copper sheets either online or in the stores. I bought the 4" x 10" x 0.025" thick copper sheet for $7.99 (used their 40% off coupon). They also have a thicker copper sheet (12" x 18" x 0.16" thick) for $22.99. I believe I found both in the aisle where they have model kits, model train supplies, rockets, etc. Good luck, Jeff

Skeleton2014

I just remembered Home Depot had copper tape in 1.38" x 15 foot rolls (Corey's Slug and Snail Copper Tape Barrier) in the garden department. I used it last year during the steampunk PITH. I suppose it could be used for segmenting although, might be a little too thin.
Jeff

Rick_G

Considering your location you should have a metal mart or some similar type of store in the area. they will sell virtually all types of metal including copper and brass sheets by the square foot.

Daddy1

So here's another question. I sandwich the flashing in between pieces of the pen blank and then turn so the edge is what is seen. The flashing or sheets are copper/brass on the front and back but will the edges show the brass color?

D.Oliver

Years ago, I got small sheets from the craft store (Hobby Lobby) and they will show the copper color on the edges.

Daddy1

A finished product

Here is my first copper laced pen. Boy that copper is HARD! But I think it came out good!

Attachments

• IMG_4453.jpg
    IMG_4453.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 187

wob50

Real nice , cause I have a soft side for copper ,what size (thickness ) was the sheets
I will have to try this soon.

t001xa22

Kevin, another idea I would offer: use copper tubing in standard wall thicknesses. Cut off a small section, and mash it flat in a vise. What you end up with are two squares that can be separated when you cut them into discs to fit up with your material. I usually use 3/4" tubing. When this size is flattened, it will give you two pieces almost 1" across x whatever length cut you made from the tubing. I drill my pen tube size into the copper pieces while it is still stable enough to hold in a vise. It is a nice bonus to actually get two pieces from one section of copper tubing.

jfoh

If you use copper anneal it to make it softer and easier to work. Goes from hard as nails to almost soft as butter.

Top Bottom