Cleaning waxed blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gwatson50

The blanks I purchase are more frequently arriving with gobs of wax that must be removed prior to making segmented cuts. What is the best way to remove this wax? ( I used the search function but did not locate anything). Thanks, g

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arkie

I have also heard that you can dunk it in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
The wax floats to the surface. I have not tried it yet.

The blanks I purchase are more frequently arriving with gobs of wax that must be removed prior to making segmented cuts. What is the best way to remove this wax? ( I used the search function but did not locate anything). Thanks, g

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Charlie_W

One word of caution: if you scrape or turn the wax off, be very careful about it getting on the shop floor. Wax on the floor being rubbed around be shavings is equal to waxing the runners on a sled. The floor will get very slick and can be a danger. Even more so while operating machinery.

Catching the wax scrapings on a piece of old newspaper works for me. Just fold it up and toss....or use it for a fire starter in your outdoor fire pit!

A regular cabinet scraper works fine for getting off most of the wax from the blank.

Curly

If is completely coated in wax you will need to set it aside to dry out. They coat them to stop them from drying and cracking. If just the ends it slows down the drying to reduce the cracking. I think if you boil off the wax you will need to set it aside to dry.

Top Bottom