Chevron Self-Critique - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Segmenting
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 457

Default Chevron Self-Critique

Hi Segmenters!

I previously posted the construction of this blank: A Different Chevron Method - Finished Blank Only.

While it was fun to construct, overcame several obstacles, the final symmetry was poor. Nontheless, It escaped the scrap barrel and was final turned, finished and assembled (I had to be coerced...).

So... Its a very nice segmented pen, lots of complimentary colors, looks cool... (But to an eye for segmenting, not so fast on the compliments...).

Lets use this thread to do a healthy critique! So often we see perfect, final products; no hint at the hrs, days, weeks that went into the final assembledge.

AND I'll start: My pickies need sorting, so look in the next thread.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0918.jpg   img_0919.jpg   img_0920.jpg   img_0921.jpg  

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I see where the segments didn't line up properly in the 2nd, 3rd and the 4th picture ... yeah, that would drive me nuts too, man ...

Barrel Stave construction style? Aside from the mismatched alignment I think that the colors generally match up quite well and look good together.

Did you use some kind of jig to get proper alignment? How would you feel about making some minor adjustments and trying it again? Do you think it would have been better to arrange it in segments and then put the segments together in order after re-squaring for alignment before you drill for the barrel tube?

Do you think it may also be better to do all that work and arrange it to look perfect from the outside as an angled barrrel and then cast it and turn a crystal clear exterior barrel around it?

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 161

The mismatched alignment sort of jumps out at you. Aside from that, I think it is just too busy. Too much going on for my eye. I cannot imagine the work and hours that went into that pen and give you an A+ for effort. Breaking up the chevron sections and placing some solid strips between the sections might help.
Cwalker935 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

One view may look GREAT! But look carefully. Yes, I do know that many family, friends, customers, etc may not notice, these issues really bug me!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0918.jpg   img_0928.jpg   img_0926.jpg   img_0923.jpg  

Old 08-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

IT looks like a labor of love of pen making for sure. And, You sure are brave to work on something that tedious!

Still, Great work!

Now to my questions if it were me: Do you "know" where the misalignment came from? That is what drives me nuts. Alignment issue? Thickness issue? measurement in cutting issue? These are the things that I contemplate over and over until I find out where it was off that I didn't see when I was doing it. I am more obsessed with finding out WHAT I missed doing and why I missed it than anything else.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Will try to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie_M View Post
I see where the segments didn't line up properly in the 2nd, 3rd and the 4th picture ... yeah, that would drive me nuts too, man ...

Barrel Stave construction style? Yes, this was my first attempt at a stave construction. Aside from the mismatched alignment I think that the colors generally match up quite well and look good together. Yes, the colors are fine.

Did you use some kind of jig to get proper alignment? I got the angles (posted previously) with a belt sander. SteveJ has done a better/more precise effort with a Byrnes saw (which I have). How would you feel about making some minor adjustments and trying it again? (No problem tweaking this!) Do you think it would have been better to arrange it in segments and then put the segments together in order after re-squaring for alignment before you drill for the barrel tube? (Ya lost me here!)

Do you think it may also be better to do all that work and arrange it to look perfect from the outside as an angled barrrel and then cast it and turn a crystal clear exterior barrel around it? We've been tossing that idea around (Segmenters). Only issue as I see it, the OD at 3/4" may not match the OD at .520" for a finished blank. The symmetry outside may not be a good view of the symmetry inside.

Please continue these thoughts. This was NOT a "Look at a fantastic pen! Thread." It was a "Let's tear this apart and have some fun improving!! Thread.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I think that if you started out with slightly wider chevrons you might be able to make better joints. Also, you are using the sander to make the angles, when I tried that I found the staves to be inconsistent. Using double sided tape and cutting the staves on the Byrnes saw kept them more consistent. Of course I did 8 staves (which also simplified the angle measurement).

"He (Jesus) must increase, I must decrease." John 3:30
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
IT looks like a labor of love of pen making for sure. And, You sure are brave to work on something that tedious!

Still, Great work!

Now to my questions if it were me: Do you "know" where the misalignment came from? That is what drives me nuts. Alignment issue? Thickness issue? measurement in cutting issue? These are the things that I contemplate over and over until I find out where it was off that I didn't see when I was doing it. I am more obsessed with finding out WHAT I missed doing and why I missed it than anything else.
Sheesh Hank, yes. I need to ponder each of these! On to next week!

Old 08-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I think that if you started out with slightly wider chevrons you might be able to make better joints. Also, you are using the sander to make the angles, when I tried that I found the staves to be inconsistent. Using double sided tape and cutting the staves on the Byrnes saw kept them more consistent. Of course I did 8 staves (which also simplified the angle measurement).
Yes, the sander did not give the best angles.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 7

"Do you think it would have been better to arrange it in segments and then put the segments together in order after re-squaring for alignment before you drill for the barrel tube?" .... didn't mean to try to lose you, there ... :)

The sequence is pretty busy-making, but easy enough to follow and follow through on. You'll need a flat surface with some 220 - 400 grit sandpaper glued flat on it, as a "bench flat" to work with.

You take 2 staves and line then up ... glue and clamp. Or you can take more staves if you are feeling brave ... you don't take all of them, though, at most half. In this way you work your way up to having 2 half barrel sections. In between each gluing, you sand the flats to true them up dry before you glue them together. In the final stage you sand the flats that will be glued together to form the final barrel and true them up dry as well before gluing. This process ensures that you get a barrel that matches all the way around, much like putting wood rings on an alabaster vessel. They do it with 6 or 8 part segments in a flat wood framed hexagon or octagon, but they do it in halves at a time before truing up the mating surfaces and gluing/clamping.

Whether using a saw of some sort for your angles or a sander, you'll want to make use of a jig that will give you consistent and repeatable results. I have no idea if I could pull something like this off ... I'ld love to give it a go, someday! :)

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads