Chevron Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sorry, not a pen yet :rotfl:!

I was not sure if I was going to be able to do this, so I put no thought into the lower sections (yet).

On and off for about a week as I was playing with some other projects.

I used left-over pieces, hence the cross pattern, which I actually liked very much.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

After gluing up the general 45 degree angles, I added some walnut spacers to "build out" the design to get enough of a pattern for the finial dimensions.

I drilled a hole in a 3/4" dowel so that I could see the middle of the design as I glued it together (off the lathe). This helped, but the finished design is still a bit off center. Any suggestions for getting it centered better would be appreciated!!!

Used a spindle gouge for the final shaping.

This one is not glued in yet, as the slight off-center of the design bugs me.

so, a 20 segment finial looking for a date with a pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Mark, I am sorry I did not completely follow what it is you are trying with the dowel set up. Not going to be much help there. I am guessing it is small leftovers that you are trying to use. Sometimes it just does not pay to waste your time unless it is a simple project. I probably would have built the piece and eliminated the dowel portion and just turned round between centers and then chucked it up in a jacobs chuck and shaped and then parted off. Sorry not much help. But it looks good and I like the cross. Unique design.

bobleibo

Hi Mark
Great concept! Here's my suggestion to center it...drill a microscopic hole on the backside of your segment and your dowel center just barely deep enough to insert a small piece of a toothpick tip and glue it in. Then use it as the witness mark to center your piece for gluing. Ive used this when I have to do blind alignments.
Looking forward to the finished product!
Bob

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I am sorry I did not completely follow what it is you are trying with the dowel set up. Not going to be much help there. I am guessing it is small leftovers that you are trying to use. Sometimes it just does not pay to waste your time unless it is a simple project. I probably would have built the piece and eliminated the dowel portion and just turned round between centers and then chucked it up in a jacobs chuck and shaped and then parted off. Sorry not much help. But it looks good and I like the cross. Unique design.

The "dowel" is actually a cut-off from a broomstick; it's not a small diameter dowel. I faced it off so it was straight, then drilled a 1/4" hole through it so that I could see the center of the design when I glued the segment section to the dowel. I was hoping this allowed me to glue it "centered." I was close. The "left-overs" were extra chevron pieces; they were actually very well aligned, which is why I did not trash them.

Hi Mark
Great concept! Here's my suggestion to center it...drill a microscopic hole on the backside of your segment and your dowel center just barely deep enough to insert a small piece of a toothpick tip and glue it in. Then use it as the witness mark to center your piece for gluing. Ive used this when I have to do blind alignments.
Bob

Thanks Bob, that was helpful!

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Mark
Bob
I didn't get any of this. But, it sounded good so I...clicked the LIKE button. :biggrin:

The "dowel" is actually a cut-off from a broomstick; it's not a small diameter dowel. I faced it off so it was straight, then drilled a 1/4" hole through it so that I could see the center of the design when I glued the segment section to the dowel. I was hoping this allowed me to glue it "centered." I was close. The "left-overs" were extra chevron pieces; they were actually very well aligned, which is why I did not trash them.

Hi Mark
Bob

Thanks Bob, that was helpful!
Mark, I'm no help. But, I don't see anything off anywhere. The things you are doing with your segments, and Chevrons are amazing me. Thank you for sharing these things.

Top Bottom