Cherry Burl and Wenge Round Segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikebpeters

I'm finding despite the potentially stunning results I see consistently posted here I am not enjoying working with the metals so I went back to segmenting with wood and veneers.

IMG_1515_zps442bbf95.jpg

IMG_1514_zps70014904.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

Nice pen! To each his own, I guess. I just rough-turned my first metal segmented blanks, but I still have to drill it, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Dale Parrott

This is a very attractive design. I'd love to give it a try and some where in the back of my head I thought I saw a mini tutorial. I have spent an hour looking for it without success so would someone please point it out to me. It would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dale

Russknan

thanks guys, learn something from every one don't we - big lesson here is that Wenge is WAY harder than the cherry burl ;)

My hat is off to you! Nice pen!
I made a pen out of wedge once. Won't do it again. Grain so coarse it was hard to get it smooth and appealing. You did, though. Congrats. Russ

mpex

This is interesting. I've been thinking of ways to incorporate Burls and figured woods into segmented designs. This gives me some ideas. My concern is that you would just have too much going on in one pen, but this shows that is not necessarily the case.

mikebpeters

Thanks everyone, I think I have found the niche that I will continue to work, kind of like Mike's gorgeous scalloping or Janster's cool multiangled pens :)

Top Bottom