A challenging request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daddy1

Someone has asked me to give an artist's rendition of the Marines Dress blues in a pen! The dress blues are a deep deep blue almost black coat. So I am thinking of using black acrylic as the base of the pen. I thought I could use something very thin for the red piping on the coat but am at a loss for what I can use that is red and thin. Also at a loss for the brass buttons. The belt will be a white piece of acrylic. Any ideas? I included a pic of the dress blues and a simple sketch of my idea.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

You can get a sheet of red dyed veneer for the red. and the brass buttons, I'd so go to a hobby store and get a piece of brass bar or tubing. drill holed in a line to match the OD of the bar you got, blue, trim off and done.

Also, are you doing a single body pen or a capped? Personally, I think a capped would look better as far as proportions go with having a shirt and pants appearance. But, if you're doing a white line for a belt, it would be a good dividing line anyway.

veneer: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/131396/Dyed-Primary-Colors-of-Veneer-3-sq-foot-pack.aspx

brass pipe: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/3/64-brass-tube-360818/

Last edited:

Turned Around

I have my moments, yes. For future reference, you could use solid brass nails or knife pins, too. I have seems some pretty cool looking mosaic knife pins used on some blanks from guys in here. Very cool results

Brass rod for the buttons and white horn for an accent if you want to do something different that acrylic. Woodturningz has the acrylic you would need in all colors I think.

t001xa22

Kevin, congrats on a beautiful and respectful job. I have made several USMC euro/designer pens for kinfolks in the past. Those were made from special kits from WoodPenPro, and had the Globe & Anchor clips. Even though the kits are not available to us anymore, the perfect color Navy Blue acrylic blanks are. If you ever make any more of your custom pens, you might want to check them out. Their Navy Blue blanks were so dark toned, I had a hard time photographing them as the blue they were. I attached a couple of pics of two of them, but please forgive the quality of the pics. I was just learning about taking decent macro pics.

Attachments

• Pen 54.2.JPG
    Pen 54.2.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Pen 57.JPG
    Pen 57.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 185
Top Bottom