Celtic Knots - Post your Jigs, Successes and Failures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
At the 2014 MAPG, Rick Crook gave a talk about making Celtic knot jigs. With Rick's help, our local penturners group made a number of these jigs at our last meeting. Thought this would be a good thread to post pictures of your jigs, successes and failures and give some of us who are new at this some tips. With my first experience, I learned attention to precision is key to success. Here's some photos of my jigs and my first attempt. We used 4 jigs for this - one to first square the blank (also used after each piece glued in to resquare) - one to make the diagonal cuts - one to size the inserts to the kerf thickness, and one for keeping the blank square when gluing. I also made another gluing jig a little different from the original.

There are probably as many ways to make these as there are CA finishes, so lets see your work!

Attachments

• Blank Squarer.JPG
    Blank Squarer.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 948
  • Cutting Jig.JPG
    Cutting Jig.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Kerf Sizer.JPG
    Kerf Sizer.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 750
  • Glue Jig.JPG
    Glue Jig.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 963
  • Glue Jig 2.JPG
    Glue Jig 2.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,351
  • First knot.jpg
    First knot.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 826
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

one to size the inserts to the kerf thickness
I get everything except this one. Is it just to check that the insert is the correct thickness? Making inserts with a uniform thickness is the part I have the most issues with. I'm probably going to get a drum sander just to get the thickness perfect with no saw marks

I also made another gluing jig a little different from the original.
Any chance you'd show us your gluing jig? The gluing jig is on my projects list, and just got bumped near the top. What I do works, but this is so much better.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
one to size the inserts to the kerf thickness
I get everything except this one. Is it just to check that the insert is the correct thickness? Making inserts with a uniform thickness is the part I have the most issues with. I'm probably going to get a drum sander just to get the thickness perfect with no saw marks

I also made another gluing jig a little different from the original.
Any chance you'd show us your gluing jig? The gluing jig is on my projects list, and just got bumped near the top. What I do works, but this is so much better.
The kerf tester is just a thickness guide.

Both gluing jigs posted in original post. Pictures 4 & 5.

Last edited:

randyrls

I made a jig and posted a tutorial in the library. With the table saw you can use a 7-1/4" carbide circular saw blade. Mine has a kerf of about .075". You need to go slow when cutting or the blade will oscillate and make a wider kerf.

I am since working on a "version 2" to use with the bandsaw, but it isn't ready for prime time yet. I will have to make another one so I can get the paint scheme right!:):)

Last edited:

GaryMGg

Some time ago, I wrote a tutorial on making a Celtic Knot using a sled on the table saw.
The PDF Is here: Celtic Knot
I used a simple 45-degree miter sled and screw clamps.
I like Bruce's sled and will probably make one like it.

nates02gt

That looks like a great set up! To make it more versatile, im thinking you could use a single pin or dowel on either end of the angled piece and have predrilled holes on the outside end of that piece to lock in different angles. You could cut groves in the clamp pieces enabling them to slide to adjust for the different angles. I have been pondering how to clamp the blanks and that looks like it would work very well. What kind of glue do you use? I tried super glue but that didnt hold up well at all. Wood glue seemed to work well. I havent tried any aluminum yet and not sure what glue would be best for that.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
What kind of glue do you use? I tried super glue but that didnt hold up well at all. Wood glue seemed to work well. I havent tried any aluminum yet and not sure what glue would be best for that.
I have used both CA and Epoxy for wood - both seem to work. Haven't tried aluminum yet.

Gary Beasley

What kind of glue do you use? I tried super glue but that didnt hold up well at all. Wood glue seemed to work well. I havent tried any aluminum yet and not sure what glue would be best for that.
I have used both CA and Epoxy for wood - both seem to work. Haven't tried aluminum yet.

If you are not in a big hurry stay away from the CA when you use the aluminum or any other metal. The thermal conductivity tends to wick the heat from the cutting action into the piece and soften the CA. Mind you it can work well with CA but if you are set up and used to using epoxy why give yourself the extra problems.

Edward Cypher

Bruce what is on the thumb screws?? Is it homemade or bought looks like some type of a cap. Also where do you get thumb screws that long?? Thanks in advance.

Charlie_W

Bruce what is on the thumb screws?? Is it homemade or bought looks like some type of a cap. Also where do you get thumb screws that long?? Thanks in advance.

I believe Bruce said he had used some delrin to make the boots for the thumbs screws as well as the longer all-thread rod. A hardwood or a poly type of acrylic would work too. Good way to use those little cut offs from pen blanks.
The delrin however, may pop loose easier if some glue gets on them.
I don't know if the long thumb screws came from Woodcraft or elsewhere.
I am sure Bruce will pop in here soon.
I think he needs a hot line..like...1-800-Ask-Bruce or AskBruce.com! :biggrin:

Charlie_W

You may be able to find at HD or Lowes, some of those little caps that used to be used for kitchen sink hold down clips. They were a some type of poly material and would slip right onto the right size thumb screw. I will see if I can find one and post a pic.

Charlie_W

You may be able to find at HD or Lowes, some of those little caps that used to be used for kitchen sink hold down clips. They were a some type of poly material and would slip right onto the right size thumb screw. I will see if I can find one and post a pic.

Okay,....enough looking...found everything else that I was not looking for!
However, I did come up with several alternatives.
A plastic nut from a toilet seat!, a plastic compression nut, a piece of plastic faucet supply tubing, and finally, a wire nut!
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 163

Charlie_W

I forgot I had recently found these at an independent lumber yard.
They are 1/2" dia and 1" long they had several sizes to choose from. These should work well in this segmenting clamp jig. A little wax will help keep glue from sticking.

I was going to use these to make some temporary TBC bushings till Classics/LaserLinez gets more different bushings in stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 137

Edward Cypher

WOW thanks Charlie lots of information. Greatly appreciated. I will give a few of them a try. I already made the jig just have to get the hardware. The only thumbscrews I could find are about an inch long maybe inch and a half.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I used a homemade cap from Delrin for the screws which I chose as Charlie said to avoid glue sticking. Truth be told, it may not be the best material as sometimes it wants to stick to the wood just a little and unscrews. Any plastic should work if you can tap it for the threads. I need to secure it to the bolts - possibly with epoxy. I know it won't stick well, but maybe just enough. Could also use a wax paper separator.

Long thumb screws available from ebay or amazon.

Top Bottom