Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

My first Celtic Knot and the jig I used to make it. It cuts 45 on one side 60 on the other.

Attachments

• 4A80FB69-910B-497A-ADE2-BE98494D0C5E.jpg
    4A80FB69-910B-497A-ADE2-BE98494D0C5E.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 508
  • B8CFC1E6-DECC-4100-BE2D-C657ECCEE2FE.jpg
    B8CFC1E6-DECC-4100-BE2D-C657ECCEE2FE.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 471
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

I made up some spacer blocks and shims. The spacer blocks are to space out multiple patterns the shims make the kerf the same size as the veneer.

Mr Vic

Dave are you cutting al the way through or so you leave a small section to keep the two ends together?

Great looking pen! What's the knot material?

Super Dave

I start off with a one inch blank and cut about 7/8 into it. I first tried with 3/4 blanks and not all of the pattern showed. In this case bigger is better. The knot material is just some veneer I had, I matched the kerf to what I had on hand.

Thanks Dave

Last edited:

magpens

.... just some veneer I had, I matched the kerf to what I had on hand.

Thanks Dave

Do you use a band saw or a table saw for these cuts ?

I read in another thread a day or two ago about someone using a band saw for Celtic knots.
Seems to me that is more challenging than using a table saw because the band saw blade is more flexible and harder to control.

If you are using a table saw and you need to widen the kerf by, say, 0.015", that is quite easy.

But with a band saw, I would think it would be difficult.

Super Dave

I am using a band saw, I make my first cut, then use shims made of of a old credit card to get the kerf the saw size of my veneer glue up. By making the kerf the size of the veneer I have I don't have to cut my own veneer. It seems to work ok . The blade will try to drift if the kerf is too small , I also use a scrap price of wood to hold the pen blank in place, I use a fresh price to each cut, that help with the blade drift. There is new wood next to the first cut, the blade will not try to move into the first cut.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I am using a band saw, I make my first cut, then use shims made of of a old credit card to get the kerf the saw size of my veneer glue up. By making the kerf the size of the veneer I have I don't have to cut my own veneer. It seems to work ok . The blade will try to drift if the kerf is too small , I also use a scrap price of wood to hold the pen blank in place, I use a fresh price to each cut, that help with the blade drift. There is new wood next to the first cut, the blade will not try to move into the first cut.

I think you might become unbeatable on a table saw, in my opinion it is a lot better tool for this. I have a 1930's Craftsman table saw and 1972 Craftsman bandsaw, I use the table saw, absolutely no blade drift.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A suggestion for your shims: Use a set of spark plug gap measures - These allow a much more precise adjustment (if needed).

Top Bottom