Camelthorn!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

I saw this wood encased in wax at the local wood store and could just barely make out some interesting grain. I had never heard of camelthorn. I think I'll go look for some more!

C & C welcome .... really!

Attachments

• Camelthorn.jpg
    Camelthorn.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 450
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Kelly - Yes! Had the same experience as you (different state, though) and I, too, am liking this new (to me) wood. My research taught me that Camelthorn is a nuisance "weed" tree. Native to Africa, it is also found in the US.

Seems kind of like the box elder. Nasty tree not even suitable for burning - but it makes great pens.

Thahnks for sharing. Love what you did with it! What's the "other" wood? Padauk?

Krash

Kelly - Yes! Had the same experience as you (different state, though) and I, too, am liking this new (to me) wood. My research taught me that Camelthorn is a nuisance "weed" tree. Native to Africa, it is also found in the US.

Seems kind of like the box elder. Nasty tree not even suitable for burning - but it makes great pens.

Thahnks for sharing. Love what you did with it! What's the "other" wood? Padauk?

You got it! Padauk with brass segmenting which, by the way, was tough to work with. Much harder than aluminum. It had the tendency to peel off in curly-cues, some of which stuck in my hand. Next time when I use brass, I will be using a full face shield so I don't get them brass bits in my face or eyes.

Falcon1220

I am sorry to disagree with you about Camelthorn not being suitable for burning. I think some of our members from South Africa will also disagree with you on that one. My understanding is that Camelthorn is widely use in African countries for burning for heat, open pit fire places and bbq.

Krash

I am sorry to disagree with you about Camelthorn not being suitable for burning. I think some of our members from South Africa will also disagree with you on that one. My understanding is that Camelthorn is widely use in African countries for burning for heat, open pit fire places and bbq.

Well, suitable for burning or not, it is definitely suitable for turning!

Jim Burr

Banned
Couple of thoughts...with the gap between the nib/cap joint and the clip...is the clip usable? Won't the gap hang on a pocket before it gets to the clip?
Nice looking combo, finish is sweet!

Krash

Couple of thoughts...with the gap between the nib/cap joint and the clip...is the clip usable? Won't the gap hang on a pocket before it gets to the clip?
Nice looking combo, finish is sweet!

Huummm, I don't understand your question. I carried the pen today in my shirt picket and it was normal. What are you seeing? Can you try to explain it in a different way? What is the nib/cap joint? I want to improve so if there is something I'm not seeing that others will, I want to know.

Top Bottom