best type of saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

almightyjoe82

I'm trying to get into segmented pens and the only saw I got on hand is a small miter saw. What's the best saw to use for the best and safest results. I attached a picture of my first try

Attachments

• 20140323_153716.jpg
    20140323_153716.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Bobby; The safest saw I would use is one of those jeweler's hand saw and small miter box. You have a lot more control over your cut, and it will be the cheapest, most accurate saw you will ever buy. However, if you are talking a power saw, I'd recommend a band saw. It will have the thinnest kerf of any powered saw. A band saw is also useful for other cutting jobs around the shop. In MHO it also allows you the best control over your work piece also.
By the way, that's a really nice pen, first try on not!

Bobby; I've got one here in my shop and it is great for what it was designed to do. However, NOT for pen blanks! It is basically a jig saw turned upside down and mounted in a table. I use it when I'm tiling a bath and need to make intricate cuts for pipes or openings in ceramic tile.
I would recommend a Rockwell 10" Band Saw instead (check out Amazon prices). They run less than the Bladerunner.
By the way, if you ever have any questions about Rockwell tools, please ask, I am a beta tester for the company (Positec) and have almost everything they make!

Cmiles1985

A scroll saw works, but is very difficult to use as a perfectly straight line is next to impossible to make. The blade is much too flexible. I am looking into saws myself as the miter box just isn't "cutting it" anymore. ...maybe we can get a group buy on band saws?? :biggrin:

Top Bottom