Best Method for Scallops?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I've tried the power miter saw and it scared the bejesus out of me having my fingers that close to the blade.
I tried a hand saw but even my big 26" backsaw had a little to much flex to get perfect 45s.
Bandsaw never even came close.
Finally I found the perfect machine - the disc sander with a miter gauge.

The main thing is to start with a PERFECTLY square blank. I cut it on the tablesaw and then square it on the disc sander. After that, I set the miter gauge to 45, check it with a triangle, and then sand one side. Turn it 90 degrees and sand the next side until the corners meet. Keep doing it and when you're done you'll have a perfect little pyramid on top of your blank.

Then I glue the flashing, glue the wood and back to the disc sander to sand it flush to the other sides. Next to the opposite side of the first side, then the other 2 sides and you're ready to go.

Anybody else have an easier method?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Now, I haven't done them yet, but I would think that a table saw miter jig would get the angle dead on and a stop block so the blank goes back to the same spot each time?

Your sanding method may be more gentle on the pieces though.

jttheclockman

I actually use both. I trim with the tablesaw and then sneak up on it with the disc sander.

One thing I will say is that I will try to take more photos of my procedures as I do a particular project. I will try to be conscious of this as I go through a project. I am sorry I do not have a movie camera so no videos will be coming out of my shop. :biggrin:

KenV

Power miter saw means blocks and hold-downs to keep fingers safely clear.

It was pointed out to me and I agree -- cut on the pull (or down) stroke and hold the blade at the end of the cut until it stops spinning. Then, once the blade is no longer turning return the blade. Slower, but more precise and more safe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have a table top Makita 10inch saw with a 7 1/4 thin kerf blade just for segmenting. I built a sled to make the cuts on. I have precut 45. 60 and 30 degree waste blocks I can clamp in it and rest the blanks against.

Top Bottom