basic question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NotURMailman

I was thinking about gluing up 4 1x1 pen blanks to create a 2x2 kaleidoscope blank. I figured using Titebond and clamping for a few days would do it, after I have made sure the sides are squared. My concern is drilling the center out after it is done. I will be drilling on the lathe with the blank in my chuck jaws and a forstner bit in the tailstock. It has to be drilled out to 13/16. Am I crazy, is it going to blow apart when I go to drill it?

All input appreciated!

(I hope this is the correct usage of this new forum section.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Maybe, always maybe.

That being said, if you have good glue joints and 'drillable' wood, you'll likely be just fine. You'll have better than half an inch of material remaining after drilling. The should be enough to keep things together, I would think.

TerryDowning

Your plan sounds reasonable and it should work.

Be ready for a blow up though (always be ready for this) use full face protection and use sharp tools. Take your time drilling out the center use a sharp bit, and work slowly.

jttheclockman

Absolutely no problem. Titebond on wood is the best glue to use. Now depending on the blanks used. If they are exotic blanks and are an oily wood, be sure to wipe down with acetone before gluing. Square flat edges are key in the glue up. Sharp bit and good to go.

Sawdust46

The only problems I have encountered drilling have been resolved with sharp drill bits. I bought a drill doctor and learned how to use it successfully.

jttheclockman

I only use acetone. I do not like DNA for a wipe down of oily woods. Go to Home depot and pick up a quart. You won;t be sorry. Be sure to read all instructions.

Jim Burr

Banned
Bunch of good ideas! If you don't have impact/breathing protection...you get what you deserve...don't come to my ED. Depending on what lathe you have...try to drill at 1-200 rpm. Tape wrapping is a great idea!! Use the same technique on stopper blanks

Top Bottom