Another way of doing 'feathers'

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I made this pen today and took some pics of how I did the cuts and also made the hole.
The cuts were done on my metal lathe with a slit saw. I used a rotary table to index and a vertical slide to control the depth of cut.
I always use a boring head to make the holes for the tubes when there is lots of segmenting or metal inlays etc. The blank didn't even get warm while making the hole. :biggrin:
You may make out the very thick CA coating I applied, to doubly make sure it held up until the tubes were in.
The slot is 2mm. The red material is in hindsight too soft for this type of inlay. Even with razor sharp tools, it was very difficult to get nice sharp edges / joints.

Cheers:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2186.JPG
    DSCF2186.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 675
  • DSCF2188.JPG
    DSCF2188.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 559
  • DSCF2192.JPG
    DSCF2192.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 528
  • DSCF2191.JPG
    DSCF2191.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 515
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Is that a lathe... Mounted on your lathe?

Ha ha, not quite......

give me ten minutes or so and I'll take a pic from further back so you can see the entire affair....:biggrin:

Edit in;
Ok, here's some pics.
Essentially it's just a rotary table with a tailstock mounted to a homemade bracket. This assembly is then mounted on the vertical slide, and the whole thing ( which weighs a ton !!:eek: ) is then mounted onto the cross slide of the lathe. Easy huh?:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2199.JPG
    DSCF2199.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCF2200.JPG
    DSCF2200.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCF2203.JPG
    DSCF2203.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCF2205.JPG
    DSCF2205.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCF2201.JPG
    DSCF2201.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

Curly

Any particular reason for using the boring bar in the boring head in the tailstock over using the boring bar in a tool holder and the tool post?

Thanks

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Any particular reason for using the boring bar in the boring head in the tailstock over using the boring bar in a tool holder and the tool post?

Thanks

I have both types and I can start with smaller pilot hole with the TS version.
You can also use the tailstock version on wood lathe.
You can also use the tailstock version for taper turning without upsetting the lathe tailstock.
I do use the toolpost type when doing large diameter or heavy work.:biggrin:

Thanks for all the comments. :wink:

Curly

It occurred to me after posting that once the boring bar is set for a particular size it can be removed from the tailstock and replaced later and still cut the same sized hole. Would that be true?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
It occurred to me after posting that once the boring bar is set for a particular size it can be removed from the tailstock and replaced later and still cut the same sized hole. Would that be true?

Yes....an ideal method when doing repeat sizes. Well thunked !! :biggrin: It also free's up the tool post.

I'm sure there are loads more advantages, but even with just the few so far, I reckon it justifies the cost.

Never be without that stupid off size drill bit again!!:tongue:

JohnU

I think (or hope)you should have kept a piece of that top blank view before drilling for a custom finial. I hope someday I can get half that precise with what I'm doing. Very inspiring!

Top Bottom