Another go

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

It has been some time since I have tried my hand at segmenting. With a recent horrible failure at trying to save a snakewood pen I have been trying to replace that blank with a segmented one. First one ended horribly also. Exploded into eleventy billion pieces.

So I've decided to try these. This one will go on a black enamel bolt action. It's green dyed box elder, ebony, and malachite. Drilling worked like a charm but it apparently got hot enough to melt the epoxy. Tube is in. Next is truing the ends and turning. Hope it works.

image-377052491.jpg

image-66833001.jpg

This one is some random cut offs I have. Gold and black m3 and Pacific Ocean blank. Drilling didn't go so well. It came apart and drilled a little weird. I had to hand sand and glue it back together on the tube. This one is going on a nouveau ball point.

image-3918753302.jpg

image-1630629101.jpg

Both were cut with a cheap plastic miter box. So not fun trying to hold them in place. I don't know what the angle is because I used a piece that was already cut at an angle. Lets call it around 30. I can see how a band saw or table saw makes this so much easier. I'll post completions when I get a chance to turn them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It is going to be very hard to glue an angle back up like that and have it stay together. That is why I cut the full angle and reglue it allows me to use a clamp and get very tight joints. Be careful though if you go too tight you will break the piece that has a V in it! Good luck.

jyreene

That's with the tube already in both of them! Which took way to long. So far this process has really proved to me that my woodworking skills...suck.

Mason Kuettel

It is going to be very hard to glue an angle back up like that and have it stay together. That is why I cut the full angle and reglue it allows me to use a clamp and get very tight joints. Be careful though if you go too tight you will break the piece that has a V in it! Good luck.

This is a difficult process, but I have done it a few times (and screwed it up my fair share of times as well). The way I do it is clamp both directions, once from the ends and also from the sides. That allows me to clam tightly both directions without the pieces sliding around. The other trick I learned from someone on IAP was masking tape. I tape around the whole blank immediately after applying all the glue. This holds the blank in place while I get the clamps in position.

Top Bottom