Adding to the collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I really like your pens. I've seen some of these pens online before but did not realize that they were yours. Where do you get your black acrylic?
Thank you for sharing.

jttheclockman

I really like your pens. I've seen some of these pens online before but did not realize that they were yours. Where do you get your black acrylic?
Thank you for sharing.

I cast my own. I have some black blanks that I bought years ago that I still use on occasion but did not with this because I started with a 1" blank. When doing segmenting I like to use larger blanks and blanks I am familar with. Silmar 41 is my resin of choice.

It has been awhile since I posted any pens and people here have forgotten that I do make pens:biggrin::biggrin: Will be changing that over the next month though.

Rolandranch

I cast my own. I have some black blanks that I bought years ago that I still use on occasion but did not with this because I started with a 1" blank. When doing segmenting I like to use larger blanks and blanks I am familar with. Silmar 41 is my resin of choice.

It has been awhile since I posted any pens and people here have forgotten that I do make pens:biggrin::biggrin: Will be changing that over the next month though.
Thank you for the information. This is now on my "to do" list.

Holy smokes John those are great! The finish is top notch and aesthetically they're beautiful. The Celtic knot is one of the best I've seen, maybe THE best.

Silmar 41 is my preferred resin too, for a few reasons I'll keep to myself (for now at least). I think it's the best resin available for DIYers.

jttheclockman

How do you turn aluminum? Does it turn like wood on a wood lathe?

Very nice pens!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Bob, I only own wood lathes so I turn all my pens on them and aluminum is a metal that turns very well with sharp tools. I will use carbide tools now that I have them and still like to use my skew also. You will get chips and not long strings like acrylics but is easy to sand and polish. But if sanding it will cross contaminate wood products. I buy alot of my aluminum from Home Depot. Good luck.:)

Bob Kardell

How do you turn aluminum? Does it turn like wood on a wood lathe?

Very nice pens!

Bob, I only own wood lathes so I turn all my pens on them and aluminum is a metal that turns very well with sharp tools. I will use carbide tools now that I have them and still like to use my skew also. You will get chips and not long strings like acrylics but is easy to sand and polish. But if sanding it will cross contaminate wood products. I buy alot of my aluminum from Home Depot. Good luck.:)

Thank you for sharing!

jbg230

John,

Not only are these pens beautiful, but the stands you have them on are also great! Did you make those also? Thanks. Jake

jttheclockman

John,

Not only are these pens beautiful, but the stands you have them on are also great! Did you make those also? Thanks. Jake

Thanks for the kind words Jake. Yes I make them but don't tell Skip I stole the idea from him. Oh yea he already knows because I told him a few times:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom