7 segments 24 inlays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Here's my latest blank.The main body cosists of 7 segments.Olive wood,cherry,flame box elder w/out flame,oak burl,jatoba,and english sycamore.Inlays are teak,walnut,and padauk.

What do you think?

Attachments

• DSCN0694.jpg
    DSCN0694.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 742
  • DSCN0695.jpg
    DSCN0695.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 547
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Should be interesting. Also should not be a problem to drill because there is no metal. Hope you put this on a kit that has one long barrel. Look forward to seeing it done. Thanks for showing the before blank.

plantman

Should be very interesting when turned !! All your angle cuts ,will turn into gentle curves, wider on the ends and, giving them a slightly flared look. I think you will be very pleased with the end result. Jim S

Dale Lynch

Here it is,turned and finished.Turning was interesting,the Teak and Walnut kept tearing out a bit while roughing it down with an easy finisher.Broke out the skew and everything stayed smooth and even.I don't have to deal with tearout very often with the carbide except on the exceptionally small stuff.Grain must have been lined up just wrong.

Thanks for looking,C&C welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF2415.jpg
    DSCF2415.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF2414.jpg
    DSCF2414.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF2416.jpg
    DSCF2416.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 347

jttheclockman

It came out very nice. My thoughts and I saw it in its rough state was the center segmenting. I think that took it overboard a bit and detracts from the design. Solid piece of wood likje maple or an acrylic would have looked nice. Just my thoughts. Thanks for showing.

Dale Lynch

It came out very nice. My thoughts and I saw it in its rough state was the center segmenting. I think that took it overboard a bit and detracts from the design. Solid piece of wood likje maple or an acrylic would have looked nice. Just my thoughts. Thanks for showing.

I see what your saying,the teak doubles do make it a bit busy.Maybe next time use the open knot to accent a center section of different material.I got some tru-stone scraps lying around, hmmm.

I'm glad you like it fellas,seems like it took forever cutting and glueing 1 piece at a time.

I think the segmenting is really good but the segmenting lengthwise may make it look slightly busy but overall this pen is awesome. I like the knots in the middle and then the simple segmenting on each end. Great job, beautiful blank.

Dale Lynch

My wife said something similar.She suggested doing all the inlay work on a solid body instead of a segmented one that she would have liked the look better.

Top Bottom