6 Strand Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

After seeing BrainG's great work, I found this tutorial in the library:

http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/6-strand-celtic-knot.pdf

I am not sure who Grant is but I appreciate his article. I then made a sliding jig for my bandsaw.

image.jpg

I then spent some time how to made a six strand Celtic knot. The gluing was the most challenging part for me. I could not figure out a good approach for clamping and finally resorted to using CA and holding together by hand. I need to come up with a better approach in order to add metal inserts or multi-color segments. Hopefully BrainG will share some tips. Here is the result was of my efforts.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Cody,

Don't cut all the way through the blank. This will maintain the alignment and stop the slipping and sliding. Of course this will require your knot insert material to be the same or a slight bit thinner material then your saw width.

Since you did six sides did you start with a round blank instead of a square one?

Mr Vic

Cody,

Don't cut all the way through the blank. This will maintain the alignment and stop the slipping and sliding. Of course this will require your knot insert material to be the same or a slight bit thinner material then your saw width.

Since you did six sides did you start with a round blank instead of a square one?

Just saw the pie chart on your cutting jig so I presume it was round.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Cody,

I did not cut all the way through and had some issues with the inserts not being deep enough. So I started cutting deeper and all was good until the 5th and 6th cuts when it was getting more and more unstable. I did use a round blank.

Charlie_W

Cody,

Super job!

Have you tried Bruce's clamping jig for segmenting/Celtic knots?

I am not sure how Bruce's clamping jig would work on a round blank. I plan on talking to him about that.

I would suggest a modified version of his jig with a length of a V block between the side clamp screws and your round blank. ....with a wax paper release sheet next to the blank.
Basically just wider than his to allow for the v block.

Top Bottom