WTF!?!?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

And I'm not talking about Wood Turners Finish.

I have 3 containers inside my vac pot with Cactus Juice, 2 of which has solidified. It was fine yesterday and all over the weekend. Today I find this.
What is odd, one of the containers is fine. ?????

Any clue to WTF just happened?

fried.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

Was there some heat source near the container? I would message Curtis to get his opinion.

No heat source. Although the containers inside felt slightly warm. Chemical reaction is all I can think of.

Wood showed 0 - 9% moisture max. So shouldn't have been an issue.

I set the Vac on last Friday. They have sat at almost -30m from Friday to Wednesday I was going to release the Vac today, top off any canisters that needed it and then re-vac for a couple more days but I found this. If it was moisture it seems that it would have shown sooner. I have had moisture before but was sure to check the level in the wood this time before proceeding. But still the moisture I have had before never caused this.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
There are only two things that can cause Cactus Juice to cure, heat and contamination. In a container like that, CJ can cure as low as 85° F. Even if the temp of the shop is not that hot, having a vacuum pump or oven close to the chamber can cause it. Contamination can come from oils in certain species of wood and reactions can occur due to sealed glass containers.

I see a glass container in the picture and even though it was not technically sealed, having it under vacuum for many days is the same as having it sealed. My guess is the glass container started to cure. As Cactus Juice cures, it generates heat which can cause the others to cure as well.

Please send me an e-mail. Even though I know for sure there is nothing wrong with the Cactus Juice, I always take better care of my customers than expected and will help you out on the cost of replacement.

BeeAMaker

There are only two things that can cause Cactus Juice to cure, heat and contamination. In a container like that, CJ can cure as low as 85° F. Even if the temp of the shop is not that hot, having a vacuum pump or oven close to the chamber can cause it. Contamination can come from oils in certain species of wood and reactions can occur due to sealed glass containers.

I see a glass container in the picture and even though it was not technically sealed, having it under vacuum for many days is the same as having it sealed. My guess is the glass container started to cure. As Cactus Juice cures, it generates heat which can cause the others to cure as well.

Please send me an e-mail. Even though I know for sure there is nothing wrong with the Cactus Juice, I always take better care of my customers than expected and will help you out on the cost of replacement.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking for -or expecting replacement. I just want to understand what caused it. I understand now the the CJ needs to "breath". I find it odd however that the heat from the cured glass jar did not trigger the other glass jar behind it, but triggered the Plastic one which is further away. (that one has the CJ yellow dye by the way) Also the Paper towel at the bottom is soaked with CJ, like it "boiled over". Interesting stuff.

Anyways, Thanks for your reply as I am still learning all the ins and outs. So like you, I am sure the CJ is not the problem but I can't avoid issues I am causing my self if I don't ask the questions. :)

If, is it OK to use the glass jars while the pump is running, just don't leave it sealed up while not running the vac? Should I avoid the glass all together?

I haven't had any issues to this point with it, but I was away for a few days, and didn't think leaving it under vacuum while away for a long time would be an issue.

Thanks

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I really would like to see you get away from glass completely! For one, if you happen to drop on and break it, cleaning up spilled CJ is a pain but with glass in it, it is a dangerous pain! I much prefer the quart paint mixing containers from Lowes or Home Depot.

I knew you were not looking for or expecting replacement and did not take it that way. I firmly believe in business, were are in this together and if I can help ease the pain of the loss of the resin, I certainly want to.

Wow, that's what I call great customer service. I need to order more stabilizing resin and was thinking of trying the Stick Fast version, but after reading this I'll just stay with Cactus Juice. I'd rather send my money to a guy who is part of and supports the community.

Wierd thing you have going on there, I know to stay away from glass jars when stabilizing now.

Top Bottom