Worst resin for turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

If you have ever considered using this resin for casting - don't!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWT156B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does not handle heat well. If you do turn with it, you must take very short and light cuts to allow the Resin to cool back down. What happens is the resin heats up very, very quickly, gums and ball on the cutting tool grabbing it and resulting in a very nasty catch.

I wish I had take some pics, not sure why I didn't but the stuff just dose not cut well even with light short cuts, doesn't cut clean like others, leaves the surface dull and rough like it melted. At first I thought it was just like Alumilite as the ribbons came off nicely, however I noticed that the ball of ribbons were warm in my fingers and would ball up like thick play-doe then separate again into ribbon as it cooled. Very weird.

Not real sure why I even tried it, lol

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

If you haven't already, you should probably post this on the Amazon page as well, since the seller responded to a question regarding using the material for turning blanks by saying it could be done.

Bill

Beautys_Beast

I tried it as well, When I drilled it, it got all cattawampuss, from the heat. Didn't even bother gluing in the tube.

I got a gallon of Poly boat yard resin I am going to give a try next. Why? Cause it was 40 dollars a gallon. Will it yellow? Probably, but I die it all anyway, so we shall see if it makes a difference.

Top Bottom