Wood id

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have two pieces of wood- one I thought was red palm and when I found a piece of red palm I realized it wasn't- but I have no idea - can anyone help if the wood on the left?
e403ef7de5efa3eec8aef2f9b3578bf0.jpg
f5c28090d30d2668eb7d449024d57512.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I do not have a guess, but can offer supporting info. Ipe is exceptionally dense wood, even when well dried. (Might sink in water.) It is also very hard, and is an oily wood. If these characteristics are found in your sample, you may be on track to identifying the species.

JohnU

Ipe / Brazilian walnut can be dark and light. I've gotten some from crates before that were darker and sanded the surface to expose lighter colors. The last I had looked just like yours. Here's a link to a page about it. Hopefully it will help. I just remember it being very splintery and dense. Ipe Lumber - Wood - East Teak Jatoba / Brazilian Cherry is also similar with dark lines in the grain. I've gotten lots of flooring scraps of that that looks similar but my pieces had better grain character and was smoother, but that's a possibility too.

Attachments

• Ipe-SwatchBanner.jpg
    Ipe-SwatchBanner.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Dehn0045

Possibly cumaru (Cumaru | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)) aka Brazilian Teak, which they say is difficult to tell from Ipe, I think the end grain matches cumaru better than ipe. Also, apparently Ipe is a genus of 30 trees, with 5 being important sources of lumber. I'm not sure how the wood of the different species might vary, but I imagine that there are differences. Maybe there is a genetic testing expert out there who could give us a definitive answer :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: "and the tree's father is?!"

Top Bottom