wood for blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevet876

A friend of a friend hooked me up with some awesome wood today. A few pieces of rosewood a lot of black walnut and something red colored, fine grain so its not cedar. any ideas. LMK

Attachments

• fieldwork (2).jpg
    fieldwork (2).jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I agree with others, purpleheart, which I've heard some people call rosewood because it is hard and oily, but it isn't a true rosewood (genus dalbergia). I'd suggest keeping the stuff whole until you're ready to use it, nothing worse than having 50 pen blanks of something but needing a 5" x 5" chunk. Also probably not worth the effort to cut up for sale, not sure if this is something you were considering, just my 2 cents.

stevet876

I agree with others, purpleheart, which I've heard some people call rosewood because it is hard and oily, but it isn't a true rosewood (genus dalbergia). I'd suggest keeping the stuff whole until you're ready to use it, nothing worse than having 50 pen blanks of something but needing a 5" x 5" chunk. Also probably not worth the effort to cut up for sale, not sure if this is something you were considering, just my 2 cents.

I was thinking about cutting it up in 3/4 " x 3/4 " blanks but leaving them as long as possible. I don't need the blanks at this moment but Im glad to have them for later. No plans to sell them. Thanks for your advice

Dehn0045

Most of what I do, long 3/4" work pretty good. There are some kits that a 1" sq blank is better, so I'd suggest doing a few of those. Also, don't forget about crosscut or angle (bias) cut, though I wouldn't dare do that with the purpleheart...

Top Bottom