Casting What’s wrong with me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Been turning pens for about 6 months now, wondering what is wrong with me. Everything I look at I wonder if it can be made into a pen. Every limb that falls in the yard, wood by the roadside, broken pieces of furniture, clearance items at the Home Store.
Wife wants to get into casting so now I wonder about the parts and pieces of everything I see. In fact, last night I was cleaning out the litter box and wondered...

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I believe there is or was a contest for the BASH that used some things that we normally wouldn't make pens out of. You might just want to start planning for next Feb. when the bash will be going strong for the 14th time.
A little advance planning might make the difference between a winner of a pen and something that is just for show. Of course, there is always a good time had during the BASH.

robutacion

Been turning pens for about 6 months now, wondering what is wrong with me. Everything I look at I wonder if it can be made into a pen. Every limb that falls in the yard, wood by the roadside, broken pieces of furniture, clearance items at the Home Store.
Wife wants to get into casting so now I wonder about the parts and pieces of everything I see. In fact, last night I was cleaning out the litter box and wondered...

Yeap, don't worry, it has been done already...!:eek:

I went through a stage like that when I first started casting and I surprised a lot of people with what I used, I still use stuff that is not very "common" but is stuff I get from around here and I developed ways to deal/handle it so, it is easier now however, I'm doing it less and less as everybody is getting into casting which I'm OK with, after all, we all have our own creativity and casting is a great way to explore that, the excitement of trying new things and particularly the "buzz" of seeing what comes out of the pot after the nervous wait surpasses greatly the feeling of making repeated casts where you already know what you are getting, even though, is not always possible to see what you have until the surfaces are turned and finished or at least sanded and polished/coated, that I like a lot still...!

Cheers
George

MRDucks2

Thanks for the link, Pierre. Growing up with cattle I actually like that idea. When I was about 8 or 9 I made construction paper Easter cards with Easter Bunny Seeds glued inside. Yep, you guessed it, dried ones from under the rabbit pen.

Kenny Durrant

I think it's just an addiction that comes with the hobby. Everywhere I go I'm looking for something different to try. The good thing is that pen turnings not a bad thing to be addicted to. My hobby before this was taxidermy. Oh yes it was the same problems. When my wife and I would travel by car I was always looking at the dead animals on the side of the road. I'd be thinking is it something I haven't done before or something unique. Then the next questions are how bad is it mess up and how long has it been there. So next time there's the argument about the usual bad habits you can always bring up there are other things you could be doing. Of coarse there was the transition between the hobbies when I saw the dead deer and had to check out the bucks antlers for turning pens.

pshrynk

I haven't even started and I'm getting like that! I have an oak in my back yard that comes from an acorn from Sherwood Forest and I keep looking at some low hanging limbs and thinking, "Those look like they need to come down. Just for safety sake, you know!"

tomas

"Some peoples' sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."

Tomas

Top Bottom