Weird Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

A friend gave me these weird chunks of wood that he found while hunting. They appear to me to be where a limb had grown from a trunk and the wood surrounding the limb had rotted away. The remaining surface wood is surprising hard. I suspect the middle of these pieces may not be as hard. They are about 6" inches long. I think they may be cedar.

Has anyone tried to do anything with something similar? I think they may have promise as blanks, stabilized blanks or fusion castings. Any thoughts?

IMG_1692.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Have seen those in connifers. locally they are spruce and hemlock. the lower limbs become very resin rich and do not rot. The ones I have cut are cracked/fractured resin and do not want to stay togerher. Have not tried Cactus Juice.

Cut along a sid and see what you can get.

They do burn hot and help start fires.

Cwalker935

I cut one up last night and it is definitely connifer and very pitchy. I will try to turn some of the pieces and do a worthless wood casting with some of the other pieces.

Marko50

A friend gave me these weird chunks of wood that he found while hunting. They appear to me to be where a limb had grown from a trunk and the wood surrounding the limb had rotted away. The remaining surface wood is surprising hard. I suspect the middle of these pieces may not be as hard. They are about 6" inches long. I think they may be cedar.

Has anyone tried to do anything with something similar? I think they may have promise as blanks, stabilized blanks or fusion castings. Any thoughts?

View attachment 155648

That's exactly what they are. Pine knots.

Top Bottom