Watch Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ladycop322

Will cast tomorrow! Waiting for the fumes to dissipate.

The bottom window of the watch face has a single diamond chip. Hope it shows up :)

watchparts.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Michelle, that is GORGEOUS !!!!! :):):)

I LOVE the shape of the watch face !!!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished pen.

You have obviously been working very hard on this one .... no posts from you for a few days and missed them ! :)

BSea

That looks really good. I'm interested to know if the diamond shows up too. Aren't diamonds hard to see in water? If so, it may well be almost invisible unless you know where to look.

jttheclockman

What kit are you putting that on??? You have a few pieces that look like they are sticking up quite a bit from the photo. Make sure you check with your bushing diam. before casting. The red background should be a nice look. Good luck.

edstreet

That looks pretty awesome. I would recommend waiting a few days before casting. I've had more than one casting fail due to outgassing from insufficiently cured CA.

Sorry but CA does not 'outgas'. It polymerizes.

Will cast tomorrow! Waiting for the fumes to dissipate.

The bottom window of the watch face has a single diamond chip. Hope it shows up :)

What will show up is the excessive glue that's holding all the parts on the tube, they will stick out like a sore thumb.

BSea

If the glue does become a problem, and you need to redo the pen, you can get some special tips that go on the end of your CA bottles. They have a really small opening, and you can basically put a really small drop of CA anywhere you need to. I don't know what they are called, but Hobby Lobby and/or Michaels sells them. I think they come 5 to a pack.

Hope you don't need them.

ladycop322

Ed,

I was taught to make watch part pens by the BEST of the BEST! CA is superglue and it releases gas/fumes. This is how, in law enforcement, we lift prints off of evidence. I have made a few pens all the same way and NEVER EVER had the problems you speak of. Thanks for your two cents but I think you are wrong. I will post my beautiful pen when it is completed so you can apologize :) Have a blessed day, I know I will, ciao!
Michelle

edstreet

Ed,

I was taught to make watch part pens by the BEST of the BEST! CA is superglue and it releases gas/fumes. This is how, in law enforcement, we lift prints off of evidence. I have made a few pens all the same way and NEVER EVER had the problems you speak of. Thanks for your two cents but I think you are wrong. I will post my beautiful pen when it is completed so you can apologize :) Have a blessed day, I know I will, ciao!
Michelle

Then please educate yourself as to how and why CA works. In the fingerprint lifting case it is heated to the boiling point which is a separate phenomenom from outgassing because that is a phase transition.

The 'best of the best'? Who would this be?

Janster

If the glue does become a problem, and you need to redo the pen, you can get some special tips that go on the end of your CA bottles. They have a really small opening, and you can basically put a really small drop of CA anywhere you need to. I don't know what they are called, but Hobby Lobby and/or Michaels sells them. I think they come 5 to a pack.

Hope you don't need them.

Tooth picks make for tiny applications of the CA.....Be well......Jan

vtgaryw

I glue my watch parts on using "Aleene's Jewelery & Metal Glue." It's very thick, but judicious application with a toothpick is possible. I've never had a problem with it, it sets up quickly, and even if I get too much on, I've never been able to see it in the finished blank.

Gary

truckfixr

Sorry but CA does not 'outgas'. It polymerizes.

No need for an apology. I've been wrong before. But out gas or polymerize...Makes no real difference to me. The fact of the matter is that casting CA that's not fully cured results in lots of bubbles, and a failed casting.

Last edited:

edstreet

I casted my blank and as I expected, you cannot see any excess glue buildup as others on this thread stated. I will turn it tonight (when I get off duty) and post pics of my new masterpiece lol

Have a great Saturday and you all stay safe out there.

Michelle

Congrats.

Just for reference as to what I mentioned was this. In these 2 photo's you can very clearly see the problem.

attachment.php

attachment.php

These to were made by 'the best of the best' but my goal is not to belittle or cause problems but to help inform. For many of us with a well trained eye for details defects of this nature is EASILY spotted from easily 10-15 feet from the pen. From casual observation of the photo you posted you to have this problem going on.

As do the majority of watch part blank makers out there.

In the first photo you can clearly see excessive glue where it was attached to the carbon fiber. In the second photo you can clearly see bubbles as well as excessive glue. There are notable difference in how the two look.

Attachments

• IMG_5592.jpg
    IMG_5592.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_5535.jpg
    IMG_5535.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 357

ladycop322

truckfixr,

That was not meant for you, my dear. The member I speak of is one who has all the knowledge, of all the mysteries of this world, lol. Maybe he can go speak to the rioters in Baltimore and NY, and also become a super cop since he thinks he knows how we lift prints using super glue! I've been a cop 20 years and a detective as well, and I have a pen turner telling me how I lift prints. It amazes me. Anyway, I completed my pen and I am posting in a different thread. I hope you like it, I love it!

Have a blessed day :)

vtgaryw

The last batch of watch part pens I cast, I had to bring the resin up from the basement. Set it in front of a space heater to warm it. Much thinner when I poured it than usual, but it poured beautifully! No bubbles in any of them! I will do this from now on.

Gary

Top Bottom