Unique Silk Batik Pens, Phase 1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

A textile designer got several of my "Silkie" pens (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/3-more-opalescent-silkies-140774/)
and this morning she kindly commissioned 7 unique silk batik pens - fun tube-in casting project - especially since I hadn't done batik in 40+ years.

Phase I:
attachment.php

Steps (some of which are not shown above):
Wash 8mm Habotai silk yardage in Syntrapol detergent to optimize dye bonding
Stretch silk onto embroidery hoop
Airbush some light background tone using Jacquard green label dyes (done outside, respirator mask, etc)
Melt some soy wax flakes in a wax pot (115-140 degreesF)
Apply wax resist with double or single spout djantings (Indonesian wax pens)
Apply dyes with hand, foam, airbrush
Apply Jacquard silk salt to add textural interest while dyes are still moist
Air dry in the sun
Brush off the salt
Iron the silk batik on medium heat between sheets of newsprint to remove wax - best done several times to get it all off.
Fold silk up in parchment paper, and steam for 2 hours to set the dye.
Tumble dry in the dryer (delicates stetting) or hang and dry outside
Re-stretch the batik onto an embroidery hoop.
Use a foam brush to lightly coat the back of the batik with Mod Podge mat finish glue/sealer, the let dry thoroughly - this ensures that you can next cut the silk without fraying.
Cut batik strips slightly larger than the tubes, then coat strips and 150 grit-sanded brass tubes with thin layers of Mod Podge, let dry partially for 30 seconds (contact cement-style); then wrap silk around tubes.
Let dry for 1 hour, then trim off excess.

Phase II will be much simpler - tube-in pressure casting, turning, etc.

Best regards to all, Bob

Attachments

• BatikPSilkPensPhase1,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    BatikPSilkPensPhase1,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 511
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Nice very nice indeed

The tubes indicate you are moving to a larger format, which should better show off the fabric.

Bob in SF

Thanks Ken, Kirk, Charlie, and Len!

Ken - Yes - showing more fabric with these batik-clad tubes - plenty of room for experimentation within the process.

My dear commissioner is jazzed about the tubes, and is also eager to see how shibori techniques will "read" on a pen (and so am I) - picturing mini-shibori - fun ahead - stay tuned.

Gratefully, Bob

Bob in SF

Nice, Ken - you keep fine company.

I'm exploring and streamlining methods of batik creation today - more tubes ahead before casting:
attachment.php

- Bob

Attachments

• 8HoopsOfBatik,may30,16,800px.jpg
    8HoopsOfBatik,may30,16,800px.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 364

thewishman

Hey Bob, I have been working on casting silk for several months and keep running into problems. My success rate is only 1 in 15. Thanks for sharing the process steps you use, I'm going to try your method and hopefully improve my results.:)

I read every one of your posts and marvel at the new things you try out. From the ceramophones to the tiny cubes, you really open up my imagination.

Top Bottom