Stabilized Silk Metamorphosis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

Silk kites flew beautifully over SF Bay and beach this past weekend - inspired me to get some swatches of 8mm Habotai silk; stabilized them in Cactus Juice (5 min. at -29.5 inches Hg vacuum chamber until bubbling stopped); laid them out on parchment paper; rolled up the silk-in-parchment; baked in the toaster over at 200 degrees x 1 hour; cast with Douglas and Sturgess clear casting resin in clear PVC tubes at 50psi; turned them; sanded to 12,000 grit (no polish); glad for the metamorphosis, and glad that Cactus Juice stabilized the (sericin and fibroin) protein of silk because I understand that the main function of the Juice is to stabilize wood fiber. Here are my first 2 pens - opens up some nice avenues for further exploration - stay tuned.
attachment.php

Warm regards, to all - Bob

Attachments

• SilkBlankCasting,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    SilkBlankCasting,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Those are as slick as ... Well, SILK. Absolutely gorgeous!! Are you thinking of making some for sale???

Danny

Bob in SF

Those are as slick as ... Well, SILK. Absolutely gorgeous!! Are you thinking of making some for sale???

Danny

Thanks, Danny!

I don't know whether I'll be selling blanks - but always glad to show the process.

Going to "next level" this weekend - silk painting:

Jacquard green label dyes
Stretched Habotai silk
Painted with brushes, sponges, and shop towels
Salted with coarse salt for texture
Dried in the sun, salt brushed off
Rolled and bundled in parchment and steamed for 2 hours on top of a tamale steamer platform
Washed 5 times by hand in Syntrapol detergent to get out the excess dye
Dried in the sun
Ready to cut into strips, Cactus Juice stabilize, resin cast, and turn into pens
attachment.php

Stay tuned, and happy Sunday to all.

- Bob

Attachments

• SilkPaintingForPenBlankCasting800px.jpg
    SilkPaintingForPenBlankCasting800px.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 274
Top Bottom