Solid flooring into blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

I am just getting into turning and am always on the lookout for blanks on the cheap. I went to a construction recycling place here in Boulder called "Re-source" just on a whim to see if they had any 3/4 solid wood flooring to cut into blanks. They had tons! I got splayed maple, cherry, acacia, golden oak, bamboo and a few others that I'm not sure of the wood. Has anyone else done this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dcrichlow

Yes, I do it a lot, be wary of the direction of the grain on the wood once cut into blanks. pay attention to it...they turn out great, but some are very difficult to turn.

keithbyrd

Absolutely - great source of some great woods! I have a friend who owns a flooring company and get some from him frequently - from some very unique sources - U of M, MSU, NCCU, Hillsdale, Henry Ford Library and a few others!

eharri446

I started out using 3/4 inch hardwood flooring from sample boards which my wife had obtained from a flooring store that was going out of business. I used my table saw to rip them square and then used my mitre saw to cut them to length.

I had Brazilian Cherry, Bolivian Rosewood, Canary Wood, Hickory, Acacia wood, Santos Mahogany, Cumaru (Brazilian Teak), and many others.

I also got samples from Lumber Liquidators, Floor and Decor, and a couple of other flooring suppliers as well.

So all told, I probably have a couple of hundred blanks just from hardwood flooring samples.

Another source of material is to buy exotic hardwoods when they are on sale and rip them into blanks as well. I have been able to get Tulipwood, Kingwood, Paduak, Purpleheart, and Bubinga blanks that way.

Also, check with https://www.diamondtropicalhardwoods.com/

You can buy 100 pen blanks for $25.00 and up.

tomtedesco

Great way to get blanks. Also some flooring stores have samples they give to customers to take home. As flooring styles change they discard these samples.

Top Bottom