Sierra Style with Simple Geometric Laser cut Inlays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken Wines

Experimenting with some simple geometrically shaped Sierra inlay blanks. The woods are maple, long inlays - tigerwood and short inlays - red cedar. I'm toying with the idea of also doing this in a rollerball version where the cap would be the solid same wood as the long inlay.

Attachments

• IMG_3785.JPG
    IMG_3785.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Agreed! That is just beautiful work and design.

I'm toying with the idea of also doing this in a rollerball version where the cap would be the solid same wood as the long inlay.

If I may make a suggestion - Two options on this. When I have tried designs in segments, matching two ends with the same design - in some cases enhance each other, and in other cases, the same design distracts. (I had an ugly pen to prove it. :rolleyes: ) My suggestion is if you have an extra tube, make two or three variations of the other end - solid or small horizontal designs instead of verticals.

My point is, sometimes designs on both ends enhance and sometimes they don't. You don't know until you try. That is too good of a design to leave with one pen option.

magpens

Very attractive work, Ken !!!!

I would like blanks that are long enough for a Sierra Click, please. This would not require modifying the pattern, but just a longer background blank with centered pattern.

Please also give some thought to making blank pairs for the Jr Gent, Jr Antony, Jr Abraham, etc.

Ken Wines

Very attractive work, Ken !!!!

I would like blanks that are long enough for a Sierra Click, please. This would not require modifying the pattern, but just a longer background blank with centered pattern.

Please also give some thought to making blank pairs for the Jr Gent, Jr Antony, Jr Abraham, etc.
I'd need the tube specs on the click. I think it's about 2/10" longer than the twist. I am working on a Jr Series blank presently.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3805.jpg
    IMG_3805.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 105

Ken Wines

Agreed! That is just beautiful work and design.

If I may make a suggestion - Two options on this. When I have tried designs in segments, matching two ends with the same design - in some cases enhance each other, and in other cases, the same design distracts. (I had an ugly pen to prove it. :rolleyes: ) My suggestion is if you have an extra tube, make two or three variations of the other end - solid or small horizontal designs instead of verticals.

My point is, sometimes designs on both ends enhance and sometimes they don't. You don't know until you try. That is too good of a design to leave with one pen option.
Thanks, Hank, for your input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom