Question on building molds ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bushwacked

I have looked over the silicone mold PDFs in the library but still not sure what type of silicone of mold making kit I should get? When I search for rtv silicone I get tons of stuff back.

I was thinking of just grabbing the alumilite kit. Then I saw the smooth on set that seemed nice but they made it sound like your molds needed to be stored inside an AC environment and not a garage.

What can I use that I could leave in the garage 24/7? I am in Texas so summer heat it crazy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I've use the Smooth-On and kept it in the basement because that was where I used it. Unless you are a sloppy worker leaving the goop all over the outside of the containers there is no smell and what there is is barely detectable. At least with my snorter it isn't. So in your case I'd do the work in the garage and then bring the kit into the house to store it.

bushwacked

Ok I was debating on that but I'd like to not have to worry about losing molds due to heat if I leave them in my garage. I know I'll forget them a few times and they are took expensive to be ruined like that.

Kind of why I was leaning to alumilite or 100% silicon to avoid this. .. If possible

bushwacked

I was in a similar quandary a few weeks ago and decided to try, Alumilite Amazing Mold Rubber Kit, 0.77- Pound.

Found it on Amazon for much less than buying from Alumilite directly. Made 3 molds so far and have been pleased.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FD8H08O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What are you trying to cast?

Joel

Thanks for the link Joel!

Going to cast some basic things ... like a 6x6x5 1/2 mold and a couple other thin ones

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have close to a hundred of Mold Max molds sitting in my garage. Im in SW FLorida where its in the 90s full time and its not air conditioned. There is no problem with mold life from heat.

JoelAlbert

I decided to give the Alumilite Amazing Mold Rubber kit a try and have been very pleased at the results. One note, you can buy it from Amazon at a significantly cheaper price than from Alumilite.

I have been making mostly Bracelet molds and single pen blank molds.

I find the single pen blank molds really useful for experimenting with new designs, techniques and colors. I haven't done a "tube-in" mold yet, but given the way I build my Slimline Pens using custom bands, I don't think it will be that useful.

Joel

bushwacked

So I got the kit but built a mold that happen to be bigger than my kit would fill so now it is sitting there hardening. Can I buy another kit and pour on top and they will meld together??

I decided to give the Alumilite Amazing Mold Rubber kit a try and have been very pleased at the results. One note, you can buy it from Amazon at a significantly cheaper price than from Alumilite.

I have been making mostly Bracelet molds and single pen blank molds.

I find the single pen blank molds really useful for experimenting with new designs, techniques and colors. I haven't done a "tube-in" mold yet, but given the way I build my Slimline Pens using custom bands, I don't think it will be that useful.

Joel

Top Bottom