Question on bird's eye maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I have this 1" x 2" piece of bird's eye maple(at least that is what the label said) that I want to get the best effect from on a blank.
I cut off a 6" piece and made 2 1" square blanks and turned one down.
There is not a lot of the 'eyes' showing.
Is there something I can do in how I cut it to improve that?

Dale

Attachments

• BEMaple.jpg
    BEMaple.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 268
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

Pen blanks are so small you need very fine grain or lots of eyes for the best look. You need to cut the larger blank to get out the best smaller blank possibly tossing out the rest of the larger blank.

Dale Lynch

While technically birdseye,they are very shallow.Not much you can do with it as far as turning goes.Try and get some with stronger eyes and use oil to make them pop.I do have a source for some,I could look into it if you'd like.

jttheclockman

Dale woods like that come in grades and the A+++ grade is the ones with small eyes and many of them. They are used for pool cues and smaller objects. Wood like you have is good for projects that have larger surface areas such as jewelry boxes and such. You will still get a nice effect because even though there are no eyes or very little the grain patterns are different than normal maples. As mentioned add an oil undercoat such as BLO or danish oil and it will bring that grain out nicely. Then top coat with your finish.

KenV

There is some stripe/curl in that maple that will work well with a touch of color fast dye or ink used with a larger pen like a cigar.

Acrylic inks or PITT markers provide light fast color at a moderate price.

Top Bottom